Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about what I saw today at an event. Haven't been in the Marina Section yet but can you run rubber conduit to subpanels in a park on the river that floods??? It looks like 3 ungrounded conductors (#4 Cu) and 2 Grounded Conductors (#6Cu) in a 1.5" Rubber conduit (I sqeezed it). On a side note I saw a recent job with GFCI's in tree mulch at a brand new shopping center 1" off ground. Meters 2ft or 8ft off ground, etc... Should I carry tickets to sporting events and drop them on floor when inspector shows up? Please tell...How can these big companies get away with this stuff?? I'm not sure how that park would be classified anyhow. It's 25ft above normal water level but in bad floods it gets covered and there are boats close by but not necessarily a marina area.

Attachments

·
Resident Lurker
59 Posts
That looks like SO or SJ cord. The wisps of filler inside the jacket are a giveaway. You can get that cord in a number of different conductor combinations. It looks like the cord came out of the malleable iron cord grip. As for the install, I am not sure if its power feed or some kind of control wiring.

BTW...There is no such thing as "rubber conduit".

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rubber

Rubber conduit was a joke. It looks to me that SO and SJ is not applicable to that environment?? Could it be another type? Not really sure. Here is larger view. It doesnt seem like very good protection for a very public environment. No support either is this pic? about 2 ft from ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
That also looks like SO cord to me as we used alot of it in the "plant" mostly for hooking up temporary "but ended up permanent" stuff like big fans & portable power stations, etc. It is very tough but It is definately not kosher in that situation. It may be feed for a underwater pump of some sort as alot of them have a rubber jacket like that.
I used to run the rubber jacket a few inches past the squeeze nut & tape the heck out of it so it could not pull out like that one did............... I don't see a lock on that Box either !

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
We often run this "rubber conduit" to floating docks, although we support it with Kellums grips or strain reliefs.

BTW, it is very difficult to pull in another conductor so make sure you pull in the correct # the first time. :whistling

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
If that's conduit, I bet it was a nut-buster pulling all those conductors in when it probably works out to 95% fill. Jam coefficient would have made it near impossible to pull unless it's a very short run.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Is that a panel facing a wall with no clearance ?
Or i'm I not seeing the picture right.:blink:

By cracky, I think you're right.

Not 'no' clearance, but not near enough!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
clearance

they must have added that concrete pillar after because the door wouldnt even open all the way. Thats where the breakers were. The front side you see had 4 quad receptacles. None of the 12 around the park had locks and little boys were playing on or around them. I know that's what I would of done at 12. I would of had a knife and see if I can cut through the wires

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks to me like wouldn't open all the way is an understatement. Unless the picture is decieving I bet you don't get 45 deg, no less 90.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
No way is that panel compliant and is definetly a safety hazard. Its amazing how much hack work is out there that can be spotted on a daily basis.

This is the type of flexable conduit i have been using http://electrical.hardwarestore.com...non-metallic-liquid-tight-conduit-683266.aspx . It works well and uses decent fittings but anything over 6' long as an absolute nightmare to pull through. I have been using this conduit for generators mainly but i also used it on some electrical equipment in a pump house where the was high humidity and a chance of water intrusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Code Violation

Since I do not see any other feeders going into the panel I am assuming that the cord are the feeders. This is a code violation and its use is not permited by Art 400.7 of the NEC. I would of had a field day doing this inspection.,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts