Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

RTC Tornado Leveling System

82263 Views 152 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  TNTRenovate
Has anyone used it? Thoughts/opinions?
1 - 20 of 153 Posts
It's Tuscan only for me from here on out. Expensive, but worth it. Messing around with the hand-tightened levelers moves the tiles around too much. At least the tornado don't have the deep bend beneath the tile that the LASH do, which therefore require a deep noched thinset.
I still say RLS is the best. Not saying it's better than MLS or MLT but when you factor the performance to price, it's hard to top.
TLS 500 straps = $125
MLT 500 straps (reusable) = $472
MLT 500 bases = $95
Tornado 500 bases = $65
RLS 500 clips = $57

TLS 2000 straps = $500
MLT 2000 bases = $380
Tornado 2000 bases = $260
RLS 2000 clips = $195

There is no way TLS performs that much better than RLS. No way.
Reactions: charimon
I like the TLS. Yeh, it's pricey for whatever reason. And if they dropped the price, they could get more market share.(hint,hint) Also, when Mick was there, the tech support was fantastic. You could reach him anytime.
I like the one handed operation. I can push on a tile, if needed, while tightening the cap. Gives me better leveling control and results.
Also, removal of the caps can be done by a quick toe kick. You can use the tool if you want but it isn't neccessary. So that's quicker, imo.
All of that is 100% possible with RLS....for less than 1/2 the price.
I like the one handed operation. I can push on a tile, if needed, while tightening the cap. Gives me better leveling control and results.
Also, removal of the caps can be done by a quick toe kick. You can use the tool if you want but it isn't neccessary.
My supplier has lash (which I don't care for) and rubi. They are bringing in Tucson, but I need some this week! Anyone used rubi? Thoughts?
I saw (never used) Rubi in action once. Looked almost identical to TLS to me.

I suppose without trying both, it's only a guess.
I have both the LASH and the RLS. The RLS is fantastic, the fact the wedge pushes across the tile can cause it to move slightly, where I don't think that would happen with the Tuscan.

The Tuscan pricing is a rip off, plus it's nice to have wedges for spacing around walls and changes of plane.
How often do you tile again?
I have both the LASH and the RLS. The RLS is fantastic, the fact the wedge pushes across the tile can cause it to move slightly, where I don't think that would happen with the Tuscan.

The Tuscan pricing is a rip off, plus it's nice to have wedges for spacing around walls and changes of plane.
4 times in my life, once with the lash, once with the RLS.
How often do you tile again?
Removed TLS straps are good for marble work.
it's nice to have wedges for spacing around walls and changes of plane.
Reactions: PrecisionFloors
Pushing the wedge with thinset caught under it might cause it to scratch a soft marble tile. TLS is straight down clamping no sliding action.

I've only used the RLS once so maybe with practice it would be easier. But I found it more a pita than TLS.

Now if the RLS manfacturer wants to send me a trial supply, I'd be happy to compare. :whistling

It looked to me that removal of RLS wedge could only be done with the tool, no?
No. I use a rubber mallet or my foot. My foot doesn't always work well on wall tiles :laughing:

http://youtu.be/rRnOtT7Q8v4?t=2m14s

Worst music ever!
So the other 2 times you went bareback?
4 times in my life, once with the lash, once with the RLS.
Reactions: PrecisionFloors
And again, I'm not saying I believe RLS performs better than any other system. I'm just stating it's WAY more cost efficient.
Practice. After wax on, wax off that's the next lesson.
No. I use a rubber mallet or my foot. My foot doesn't always work well on wall tiles
Reactions: angus242
Yup, the old fashion way, and the end result was 90% as good as using a leveling system.
So the other 2 times you went bareback?
So 10% lippage? Egad. Lol
Yup, the old fashion way, and the end result was 90% as good as using a leveling system.
Reactions: angus242
1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.