Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RRP ads.

Was checking the weather online, like I normally do,.....look to the right and I see the ad.

http://www.leadfreekids.org/index.html

I guess my question is? Are these organizations part of the EPA awareness, or are they outside agency's?

Personally I think that the pictures are rediculous.

This is the first time I have saw an ad campaign, or information outside of CT.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Wow now thats a bit OTT. Perhaps they should put thought like this into stop smoking ads!! :blink:

They really do have a problem with contractors at the moment dont they. Customers are already worried about this lead crap let alone being shown pics like this. Talk about strecth the truth. F-ing EPA fools :furious:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,108 Posts
That was an EPA short video. The show a close up of the bottle, it is filling up. The slowly pull the camera back to reveal the paint can. It is unfair at how they present the message since there are no lead based paints anymore. And even if you did that with a normal latex paint it would be deadly for the child. What where they thinking?

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,612 Posts
What where they thinking?

They were thinking, "these adds will get to peoples emotions" rather than their common sense thinking. Same tactics used by animal rights activists, gun control lobbyists, healthcare reform promotors, ect, ect.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,108 Posts
Why don't they portray the paint companies with this light. It is their paint, their lead additives. Yet we are now responsible for and possibly fined because of their negligence.

I can understand them wanting to deal with the problem and because we are working with the infected material we have to keep a heads up and do what is necessary to keep the lead dust down. But the fines they have out there are disproportionately large for something that is really not our own problem. The only reason it is ours now is because the paint lobbyists are more powerful than the contractors.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
They were thinking, "these adds will get to peoples emotions" rather than their common sense thinking. Same tactics used by animal rights activists, gun control lobbyists, healthcare reform promotors, ect, ect.
It's a tactic used by every political
group and company in the western world.
It isn't an accident that BP is perceived
as "green" and environmentally conscious
by a majority of people since they changed
their logo, even though their safety record
hasn't improved in the least.

Stick your opponents face between pictures
of Bin Laden and Saddam, and it no longer
matters that he's a decorated veteran who
lost an arm and both legs in service to
his country.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How is trying to get the point across that lead paint in your home is a problem is portraying contractors in a bad light?

I don't see the problems with the ads from a contractors perspective.
I Wasn't really pointing my views towards contractors in "general".
I meant to come acrossed, as referring to the RRP rule in general.
I just feel its a harsh way to get the point across,...:blink:

I'm all for public awarness (which there hasn't been), but lets keep it realistic.

That was the first I have seen it mentioned, (outside of here) and thats the first thing I see,...:sad:

:yawn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts