Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Bosch router table (the one that's like $190 @ HD) and a Porter Cable 892 router. It's treated me good over the past couple years.

Recently, I got fed up w/ reaching under the thing to raise or lower the router- also have to wiggle it just to get it to go up or down while raising or lowering it. I figured it was time to get a jessem mast-r-lift until I figured out my Bosch has a weird sized router mounting plate :censored: and the Jessem wont work w/ it. Just curious if any one has any suggestions on a cost effective table?

I did concider making my own as well, have any of you successfully accomplished this?? I could still use the feet from my Bosch (w/ a nice paddle switch), stand, and fence. Seems simple enough right? What kind of wood would you use? I prefer this route as it seems to be the most cost effective and I could design it to suit my needs alot better. Thanx for any input :thumbsup:.

I just realized this should be in the tools section...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've always made my own router tables. I have two in my shop now--one holds two routers--The other holds one.

both have 1 1/2 inch particle board tops with Formica coverings. I also have two Woodpecker mounting plates in the big table. The tables are 5 feet long.

Full length one piece fences--Screwed on the left side like a hinge pin--Quick clamp on the right for adjustment. Works well for me. No lift yet. Only draw back is the lack of ability to separately adjust the out feed side of the fence.---MIKE--

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
...get a router with the above table height adjustments....the bosch routers do, so does the new craftsman professional...yeah, you gotta reach under to flip the cam lock open, but then I just adjust from the top...

I also use a homemade one my grandfather made before he died.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have just built 2 router tables. The first one is a combo router table, assembly table [modeled after the Kreg assembly table] and the second one was a smaller router only table. After making the bigger router / assembly table I realized it was to big and heavy to take to a job unless I was doing a lot of assembly. If it's staying in the shop it don't matter how big but if it is going to go to the job size is a consideration. Also I made both router tables with a skirt like a table has so I can take them to the jobsite and use them on a pair of saw horses or I can slip them over a cabinet like the one Norm uses. [not done with the cabinet yet] Also probably the most important thing is the router lift that you want.On the big table I have installed a Freud Ft300VCE that has an adjuster from the table top and on the smaller one I have a PC 890 variable speed with a Rockler router lift FX.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I would seriously consider a Triton 2-1/4 hp plunge router. It's a great unit, and has excellent above the table adjustment. Their bigger router does not have the same above the table system, but the 2-1/4 hp works fine for most apps. I have raised cabinet door panels with mine. You may be able to just re-drill your existing plate to match the Triton pattern.

If you want to replace the top, I would get a Woodpecker plate, and mount it into a formica covered mdf top. The Kreg levelers make it easy to level. Woodpecker makes an aluminum plate that is specifically for the Triton.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
LOL:w00t: it works....

059.jpg

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
i have always made my own... i re make them now and then to improve as i learn of new features like the t track bars. i also made a 2' x 4' table out of 1 3/16" mdf for doing raised panels and other big work. i built the dust collection right into fence! i guess a picture would help...

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I did a lot of research on designs others have utlized in their own builds-lots of good info out there. one thing I've found is the size most people construct their tables isn't as large as I would have thought-usually the typical aftermarket router table size.

If you have the money for it, pick up a catalog from Woodworkers Warehouse and check out their lifts. I shopped Ebay for good pricing, but have not begun my own build.

Mike-I would like to see your tandem router table.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts