Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may be of some use to someone here so here it goes.

When I glue a piece of solid stock to a piece of sheet goods, I leave the solid proud ever so slightly and trim it off.

This jig comes in handy under some circumstances. It has a 1" "Her-Saf " bit in it and adjusted down to as flush with the bottom of the jig as humanly possible.

The dado in the bottom of the jig makes room for the solid stock that is proud of the sheet.

The fence is adjustable so I can leave just a tiny bit of the solid stock in case there is a little elevation problem. I can sand that off and feather the 2 together easily.

Works as good as you have it adjusted.

Enjoy.:thumbsup:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good one, Gus. I like your addition of a fence. I have a really basic one that I made from Baltic Birch, similar to what Pat Warner has on his site. He calls it a vertical trim base.

Your wider base with the fence looks a lot more stable, though.

Thanks.

- Kit

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
That is so simple it is fantastic, much better than a flush trim bi. It has so much more surface area for stability, I am making one tomorrow. I have 9 panels to finish in the morning that I can use that on. Thanks Gus.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good one, Gus. I like your addition of a fence. I have a really basic one that I made from Baltic Birch, similar to what Pat Warner has on his site. He calls it a vertical trim base.

Your wider base with the fence looks a lot more stable, though.

Thanks.

- Kit
Cool. The surface to that rides on the panel could be a bit wider on mine, but not much.
After using it today I think I may trim some off the other side.

That is so simple it is fantastic, much better than a flush trim bi. It has so much more surface area for stability, I am making one tomorrow. I have 9 panels to finish in the morning that I can use that on. Thanks Gus.
I knew I was posting for someone. Glad it's you and that you are going to put it to use right away.:thumbup:

Try to blow the dust off the panel out in front of the jig while using it. Any little debris rolled under will mess with the tolerance.

Take some pics. I'm sure you can improve on it. :thumbup:

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
Gus,

Thanks for posting this AFTER I just spent over $700.00 on my lipping planer. I am going to feel like I got ripped off every time I use it from now on. :furious:

If you have any plans for a $ 20.00 CNC made from band-aids and popcicle sticks please don't hold out on me until after I buy one. :notworthy

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Gus,

Thanks for posting this AFTER I just spent over $700.00 on my lipping planer. I am going to feel like I got ripped off every time I use it from now on. :furious:

If you have any plans for a $ 20.00 CNC made from band-aids and popcicle sticks please don't hold out on me until after I buy one. :notworthy
:clap::laughing::laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gus that is a great tip!

I've been looking for a dedicated use for my Bosch Colt. The spindle lock on the Colt sucks, making bit changes a PITA... would be perfect for a dedicated lipping plane though. Thanks.
This jig really needs a dedicated router too.

It is finicky to set up properly and once you have it you'll use it more often if you can just grab it when you need it.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,833 Posts
Sounds like a dovetail setup. Once you get it, lock the router down and 'no touchy anymore.' :laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gus,

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I wish I had your planer.

As far as the cnc goes, check out U-Tube there are several homemade jobs there.:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gus that is a great tip!

I've been looking for a dedicated use for my Bosch Colt. The spindle lock on the Colt sucks, making bit changes a PITA... would be perfect for a dedicated lipping plane though. Thanks.
Bass,

I thought I was the only one disappointed in my Colt. Like my old Bosch trim router much better, though it's a bit of a screamer.

- Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts