Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who wants round cedar posts on the back deck. Does any one have a recommendation for a round post base. I want a Simpson style galvanized kind of base that can be bolted to the concrete and nailed on the sides.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,950 Posts
If you use pressure treated posts you can always flag pole them right in the concrete. Just make sure their high enough to stay clear of standing water. Also a regular Simpson bracket would work too. The flanges are probably small enough to just bolt on the sides without issue.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you use pressure treated posts you can always flag pole them right in the concrete. Just make sure their high enough to stay clear of standing water. Also a regular Simpson bracket would work too. The flanges are probably small enough to just bolt on the sides without issue.
+1. Or, if the round posts are a little larger than the square post you'd otherwise have, trim the post to fit the flanges on a standard Simpson. You should be able to do something very clean.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
the posts are currently 6x6 cedar. They want them replaced with the same size cedar logs. The posts there now have no base at all and that is why I am replacing them.
A 6" round cedar post isn't quite as strong as a 6x6 square post. Maybe it doesn't matter in your case, but around here, if the plans said 6" square, an inspector would say no to 6" round.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, 6" round is not quite enough. I haven't selected the posts yet. I think 6" at the top just so it meets the beam evenly, but I want the bases to be bigger. The inspections in this area are a glorified HOA. They are more concerned with paint matching the neighborhood than any thing else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts