Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a few clipped head Paslode guns. I have Hitachi guns right now and I am SICK and Tired of the plastic collated nails misfiring and hitting me in the face. It is also getting tougher to find the paper backed round heads, plus they are more expensive. Plus clipped head have more nails per rack. The only thing I am worried about is the Building codes not excepting clipped heads. At this point I don't see a problem. I am in Alpine Wy outside of Jackson Hole. Any ideas????

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You can find this topic in the archives. Roundheads win. Sorry to spoil the ending.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some reading and I guess the round heads win out. But the plastic collates are garbage no matter how you look at it. They fall apart easier, and they jam up easier, and the plastic hits you in the face. I guess sucking up the extra price for paper backed nails is worth it.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Perhaps the problems you are having have more to do with the Hitachi and less to do with the round heads? I use a Porter Cable framing gun and can't complain about it at all other then the pesky issue of it doesn't like to work unless it is plugged into a damn air hose. I don't do production framing or anything like that so of course the frequency of problems is reduced for me just based on the smaller amount of nails being run through it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
What's the problem with clip heads? Are you saying that a wall framed with with clip heads is going to come apart when or where a round head nail would otherwise hold? Seriously?
If I properly understand the function of a framing nail (and I admit that I may not) isn't it primarily to preclude perpendicular forces from seperating two objects. Doesn't the head of a wire nail pretty much just serve to keep it from being over-driven? Someone learn me up would 'ya.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I think it is more a matter of local codes allowing or not allowing clipped head nails in certain applications. There is a similar discussion on another forum regarding local codes and air gaps being required or not even though apparently every new dishwasher sold has a sentence in the installation instructions that due to the design of the dishwasher no air gap is required, saying that simply looping the drain hose above the lowest point of the sink is all that is required.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The nail head contributes to the retention factor. Think of the difference between a finish nail and a roofing nail.
I have overheard discussions that they are banned or are going to be banned for certain applications here in hurricane land. I have never used them, so I really wasn't paying that much attention.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I can see the downside of clipped head nails in a roofing/siding application - where nails are used to bind one material to the surface of another. I just don't believe that a round head nail is any better in a framing application, where a nail's primary function is to resist shear forces, and nobody can convince me otherwise even if you were to quote the carpentry books it's written in.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, you would be right except for the uplift forces that we can get during one of our little windstorms when every little bit that helps keep the roof on is a blessing.
To get back to topic, I see the clipped head going the way of 8-tracks.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well OK then - 8-tracks it is.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Not so fast.
Paslode's nails for clipped head guns, IMCT, Porter Cable FC350, etc., are FULL round head nails. The head is offset and they fit perfectly.
I don't use my guns every day but I have been using them for a while now and have had NO problems. :Thumbs:

The Paslode nails are a lot nicer than generics anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thing is you have to be smarter than your (so called)"wire nail"

:rolleyes:
PipeGuy said:
What's the problem with clip heads? Are you saying that a wall framed with with clip heads is going to come apart when or where a round head nail would otherwise hold? Seriously?
If I properly understand the function of a framing nail (and I admit that I may not) isn't it primarily to preclude perpendicular forces from seperating two objects. Doesn't the head of a wire nail pretty much just serve to keep it from being over-driven? Someone learn me up would 'ya.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thing is you have to be smarter than your so called "wire Nail" Hmm.. never heard it called that.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Speedy, what are you trying to say? Paslode clipped heads fit in PC 350 or PC 350 full round heads fit in Paslode?
The Porter Cable FC350 and Paslode IMCT take the same clipped head nails.

Both accept Paslode's new full round head nails for clipped head guns.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Captain obvious here..

if you are having trouble with the plastic collated nails for the hitachi...don't let the spring loaded nail keeper slam into the racks after loading...

I know i just stated the obvious, but my PC crapped its pants last night, and i just created a new partition on my hard drive and re- installed my operating system (and i have no idea about these confounded things..seems simple enough though).

last night: rebuild a paslode, tonight rebuild a computer. I am now a geek, but i think i saved myself about $2000.

I want my hammer and rotary phone back. sorry for the rant.

-E

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Cheap nails period. You don't need to buy Hitachi brand (which won't break) bnt there other middle brands out there that won't do that.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Mike saving money is the name of the game but of a difference of usually 5 dollars a box. Cheap nails will cost you more with screwing with the gun. I used to use duofast but quit after the pos's kept breaking in my bags. A good middle brand nail is Hal Steel. Solid but flexible collation. Paying around 30 - 35 dollars a box depending on the size and shank type(except for the hot dipped galvanized for the new and improved pressure treated lumber :mad: . Buying by the pallet give you a even better price.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I didn't know Sencos were cheap, less expensive maybe. Haven't had any trouble with them, but those are also the only nails that I have ever used, so nothing to compare it to. I use stainless steel from Senco for ACQ work. By the pallet? That would last me a lifetime! I would have to stack them in the shape of a couch in the den to store them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts