Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing round corners do I run all the way to the floor or do I have to allow for baseboard??thanks for your help

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
pro, I run it almost to the floor, we have water issues here.

Base is installed at angles by most. I have the ability to manufacture the most popular profiles in curves. I have seen another company that does this and retails, check the back pages of TOH.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It depends on the final trim. If they are going to use a piece of base cut at 45s to join the two meeting base boards then you bullnose all the way to the floor. (This is the way I see it around here)

Here is the same idea but with crown molding.

The other solution is using Trim-tex like products that transitions the bullnose at the base of the wall.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like the transitions, haven't seen that before.

To be honest, I'm not big on the round corners. Ever see a paint color change using them? Somehow it always looks goofy to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can put a transition piece on first then cut the bead to fit into it (trim tex) or you can glue one on after to the edge of the bead i prefer the second method. both give you a nice 90. we charge an extra 30 cents a foot for round. finally a step-a-bull will give you a nice paint transition if you want to go with that>

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Rounded corners seem to be pretty popular here, all the NICE homes transition to a pointed corner a few inches before the baseboard and the crown. (like the last pic that Mike posted) The "rest" so to speak do it floor to ceiling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the transitions, haven't seen that before.

To be honest, I'm not big on the round corners. Ever see a paint color change using them? Somehow it always looks goofy to me.
Trim-Tex just came out with Step-a-bull, has a lip on each side, perfect for busting off the paint color change cleanly. Ooooh I can't wait to have yet another profile of bead to keep on hand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trim-Tex just came out with Step-a-bull, has a lip on each side, perfect for busting off the paint color change cleanly. Ooooh I can't wait to have yet another profile of bead to keep on hand.
Right!! There was a time when a box of 8' square done a whole house, and now you have to bring 4000 pcs of bead, only to still run short of SOMETHING. The simpler days were much easier!!

·
Banned
356 Posts
When installing round corners do I run all the way to the floor or do I have to allow for baseboard??thanks for your help
To the floor it's the job of the trim carpenter to trim around the corner usually he/she will do a 22.5 corner because it sure aint gonna be round!

This picture actually shows you 2 options.

MZ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts