Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am doing a basment remodel, my question is does the inspectors want to see the recessed lights in place, (it will be a drop ceiling)

I know all the other items that have to be done just not sure about the lights, I was just going to drop a temp light where the first light would go.

Thanks.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
I've never had an inspector require recessed cans in place for a rough if it's going to be a drop ceiling.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I've never had an inspector require recessed cans in place for a rough if it's going to be a drop ceiling.
Around here they are usually installed somewhere between the "rough" and "final" inspection....but BEFORE the ceiling inspection :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can do it two ways. First, the commercial building way where you get a wall cover, ceiling cover, and final. We use this method for basements with drop ceilings. The second method is to install all the recessed lights (putting in the tiles you need for the lights yourself) and call of the rough. Either way, a good inspector will want a ladder set up and a ceiling tile removed on the final as well.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
If the ceiling grid is in, then put the tile in and install the can. Obviously if there is no grid you , you could just hang the can. Can lights are rough, so better install it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts