Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of re-doing a bathroom and had a question about the bath/ shower assembly. Is the rough - in valve the valve that controls the water volume, direction and tempertature for a bath/shower assembly? I'm not sure if I need a diverter and several other valves or if the rough in would take care of all that. Anyone have any recommendations on what brand to use? They seem like they only fit on certain brands of fixtures such as spouts, knobs and showerheads. Is there a universal valve that would fit most common brands?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
The most popular and dependable valve is made by Symmons. If you are looking for a simple tub/shower valve these are the best in the business!!

The S96-2 model comes complete with built in diverter, a tub spout and a shower head and arm. The S96-1 model is for shower only.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
What in the world are you talking about? If you buy any shower or bath valve for at least $50 bucks, all you do is hook the hot and cold up to it, the shower head and either plug the bath filler if it is just a shower or hook up the bath filler to it. Just open a box and look at the instructions.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not sure exactly what you're asking, - - but to me the 'rough-in' valve would be a shut-off valve before the water even gets to your diverter, - - you'd need one for hot and one for cold. Locate them below your diverter and provide an access panel from behind.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A "rough-in valve" is a shower valve installed on the rough.If you are worried about actual shut-offs to the hot and cold then buy one with intregal stops.

Also, don't just buy any "$50.00 valve" make sure it is a tempering anti-scald valve such as the Symmons that is accepted by you're local codes.

You can still buy three handle valves from the big box stores which are illegal for shower applications. They probably cost "$50.00" and are obviously piped the same way any valve is installed, but it is the safety and function that is going to protect you're family or others from scalding.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My vote is for Symmons, as they can really take a beating.

And its a simple rough in with the backer plate.

BJD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts