Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sub who does my electric that is very good but I am wondering how to handle this recent issue. I will lay it out real quick.

I had a tenant improvement on a commercial project to do. Joining two spaces into one and both bathrooms needed to be ADA compliant. Existing bathrooms needed to be made a little larger. Add emergency lights in both. The extent of the work was move two switches off the walls that were moved to the new walls. Add two boxes for emergency lights. So I thought...when I told my sub to go the job I said plans were on site. And they were.

Get clearance that they are done and call in my rough electric inspection.Get invoice for work done. Get word from inspector that there was no box for the hi-lo drinking fountain on the outside wall of one of the bathrooms and he failed until it was installed. Like it called for on the plans. I called my sub. He sends same guy out to install hi-lo outlet. We pass rough. No big deal. Move on great I think.

Then I get email this morning for extra work to add box that should have been added the first time.

Here is my complaint..and I don't want to start a war with the sparkys....I am the GC yes...but this is your area of expertise.You are well schooled on the codes for ADA and the new things we have to do now. The reason I missed it on my take off was that even though both bathrooms needed to be made accessible only one needed to have a hi-lo. If you tell me on first trip hey we need to add box for hi-lo..I will say hey you are right I missed that...thanks..send me the invoice...but if I fail an inspection and have to pay reinspect fee and the time to reschedule would it not be fair to say hey we both missed it..how about we just bill actual time and material..not markup etc..

These are not my actual costs but for the sake of arguement lets say original invoice was $850...and the one I got today was $250...am I right to be a little tweaked?..

This is a small job between us and it is the principle that has me upset...he is also handling a 10K SF tenant improvement with a ton of work in it at the same time...

Do I pay invoice with deduction for missed inspection fee and fair cost of downtime missed putting off drywaller to reschedule? Or do I say hey I got the recent invoice and we need to take care of this fairly?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
If it was called for in the plan, he should have caught it. OTOH, if otherwise everything is sunshine and roses with this outfit, it might just be a clerical thing that can be worked out without going to war.

Stuff happens. Offer to share a bit of the extra expense, but I'd dig in my heels over paying full price for the second visit.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Was the receptacle shown on the plan? If not, its an extra. My proposals are based on what is shown on the plans. It's your job to make sure the plans are compliiant. The sparky may have no clue what is necessary for ADA, they install per the plan.

You may think the response is from just a sparky, I'm a lincesed GC, electrical and mechanical contractor.

I recently was sent a set of plans with no electrical for a electrical bid for another contractor. Submitted the bid based on a notation from the architect. Get the production plans my bid went up 7k. Told them the same thing I just told you, I bid what's on the plan.

Tom

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Was this T&M? Was the hi-lo on a new wall or existing?

I can see where if you told the EC to go wire the restrooms that is what he would do. If he had a set of plans and a scope - then it's on him.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I am the GC yes...but this is your area of expertise.You are well schooled on the codes for ADA and the new things we have to do now.
I am the sparky, yes. But my area of expertise does not qualify me to be the blueprint police. Jobs go much smoother when I do as I am told. Not when I question what I am told.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'm sure the sparky would have called had he even thought that a refrigerated water fountain was being installed. Just because I know how to wire something up, it doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to anticipate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
As stated above, if it was on the plan and on the scope of work and they blew it off it's on them. If they were working from an approved plan and this wasn't shown, then it's on both you and whomever created the plan.

Electricians are normally following the 700+ page code book and are responsible for finding out if any local amendments come into play. Beyond that it is up to the GC/archy/engineer to provide plans that follow all the other regulations and codes so this one is probably on you.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Was Hi Lo on the plans sent out for bid?

If not it's an extra.

Just had the same situation recently. California prevailing wage job.
Plumber tried to retire off the CO. Educated him....

Sparky charged me a buck 85 to add the outlet....:thumbsup:

Re-inspection fee...if it was a CO pass it along....

Most of the time on this nickel & dime chit it costs more to process a CO than it's worth...

Sometimes it adds to your education portfolio....:laughing:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi-lo box was on plans...plans were onsite from day one.

Like I said..I sent him to rewire new bathrooms built from existing..basically they pushed out two walls..one of them showed a hi-lo for future tenant use on plans.

I anticipate that we will work it out and move along..writing the post actually helped me blow off the steam...thanks for your replies.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Not speaking as a sparky, but just as someone doing business......

You may be assuming a lot that may not be true.

He may not even know you got an invoice. He may have had it in his head to tell his billing person "Hey Barry had a minor add-on to that job we did for him last week...something we both kinda had a hand in causing...no bill for Technician-Joe's time for that one"...he might have forgot to tell them, or he might have told them and they forgot about it by the time the timecards were in.

Call him up and see what he says. I'm thinking it's not going to be a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts