Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tough question Paul, for a number of reasons:

- What's the material? It can vary from $0.49/SF 4x4 tile to $90/SF glass
- Is this a wall application, or floor? Over drywall, cement board, full mudset?
- Are we talking about 10 SF, or 1,000 SF?
- Is there a pattern, listellos, borders?
- Diagonal or square lay?

Without all that info, any response with a price is useless.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Like Bob said. Have you picked out your tile? Guy's that have the really big saws tend to charge more. We are starting to get some HUGE tile here, too big IMHO.
I can do normal, cheapo stuff for about $6 a sq. ft., signed, sealed, delivered (I'm yours). With most tile, the install doesnt change much, the price of the tile does.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
How much for a car?

Like everyone else said, we need more info.

·
Registered
63 Posts
More info is needed. I work a bit cheaper for other contractors who are more likely to give me more jobs, but never lower than $4.00 sf. I charge .50 sf for glue down carpet to retailers who supply the glue.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Damn, I better not say what I am charging, you guys will get pissed! But a hint isn't in the single digits and that's only for 12x12, anything smaller or larger than that size or other than ceramic or other than a straight grid pattern is even more, plus I like to charge for toilet removal/replacement and lots of other stuff. :eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, I was only talking install, no prep like toilets, cabinetry, etc.
Everything is set on top of the tile, no exceptions!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't see any reason to get p/o'd about what other guys are getting. A little envious perhaps, but not upset. I find myself happy and busy at $6.00 a foot for basic 12x12's for an end user, but of course extra's are extra. I usually don't hit the customer up for the toilet r and r but that's because I got sick of running into faulty ones. I tell people that I'll r and r it for free but if there are any problems, they'll need to contract with a plumber.

That keeps me putting in floors and leaves the difficult plumbing tasks where they belong, with a skilled plumber. It also keeps that pumber's hand out of my wallet, 'cause if I charge for dealing with that toilet and can't get it right, I feel like its my burden to get the plumber in to fix it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
soxfan said:
More info is needed. I work a bit cheaper for other contractors who are more likely to give me more jobs, but never lower than $4.00 sf. I charge .50 sf for glue down carpet to retailers who supply the glue.
are you guys talking about labor only? 4 6 dollars a sq ft.

·
Registered
363 Posts
soxfan said:
are you guys talking about labor only? 4 and 6 dollars a sq ft.

·
Registered
455 Posts
soxfan said:

Your gettin 4.50 for direct glue in Boston?

Damn I guess I should be commuting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mike Costello said:
Your gettin 4.50 for direct glue in Boston?

Damn I guess I should be commuting
The particular retailer I'm refering to pays the same for stretch-ins and direct cement downs; most of the work is stretch-in. That's pretty standard though, the workroom that covers all of the Home Depots around Boston paid $4.25 for both two years ago.

I expect if you contracted with a shop that mostly did DG's the rate would be a little less for both; but I've never really worked with an outfit like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts