Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm replacing a few rotted rafters in a 1 car garage. The rafters were actual rough cut 2x 4 ( or 8 quarter by 16 quarter ) . I can get rough cut spruce planking that people use for staging and rip it down- any problem with this?
Thanks,
Tersh

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
What kind of lumber will you be replacing? Around here, any load bearing application would use Doug Fir. I know that locally, I can custom order rough cut lumber to whatever dimension I want from a local sawmill, and it's often cheaper per board foot than dimensional lumber. I don't know how common local sawmills are in your area though.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Do they show, and therefore need to be rough cut, or are they buried, and all you need is a true 4" rafter to make everything plane out? If it's the later, get a dimensional 2x6 and rip it to 4".

If it's show, charge for your drive time.

I wouldn't be inclined to use spruce for rafters, unless that's what's already there.

I suppose another option would be to get a 6x6 and resaw 2 2x4 out of it on a bandsaw. The final width cut could be done on a table saw, just put the table saw cut up.

or are any of these places near you?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...us&q=rough+cut+lumber+boston&btnG=Search+Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=DSfWSvWrBKPGigPpy-jsAQ

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There's no issues with spruce as a building material, the yards here are full of it. Just check with the span tables that it is sized appropriately.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Around here, Spruce, hem fir, and pine are grouped together as "white wood". It's fine to use in non load bearing and most compression, but for rafters, joists, posts (where there is more weight on it), ect, you buy doug fir.

As such, I wouldn't want to use spruce for rafters. Maybe the loads are low enough to be safe with white wood, but I'd still use doug fir if at all possible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There's no issues with spruce as a building material, the yards here are full of it. Just check with the span tables that it is sized appropriately.

I agree.

Check your code book and you will have a table to go too
Here the CBC tells me that Table 2308.10.3 you can have a
spruce-Pine-Fir. Grade#1, 2x4 span 10'4" :thumbsup: ( Hope that helps )

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I agree.

Check your code book and you will have a table to go too
Here the CBC tells me that Table 2308.10.3 you can have a
spruce-Pine-Fir. Grade#1, 2x4 span 10'4" :thumbsup: ( Hope that helps )
Remember, for roofs, snow load makes a big difference, so you have to know what the span is for your area.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
is the repair going to be inspected, if it is the inspector will want to see mill stamps saying the wood is ok to use otherwise a engineer's stamp would probably be required.

only reason i say this is because a backhoe operator who use to do the excavations for our us cut the trees on his lot and had them turned into lumber. the lumber wasnt stamped by the engineer mill so the inspector condemned his house

1 - 12 of 12 Posts