Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm framing a porch roof out of rough cut pine. Using 4" x 6" beams for the rafters sitting on 6 'x 6 ' beams and posts. Wanting to sheet it with rough cut 1" x 8"s. (not T&G)

Problem I have is the codes in NC in reference to rough cut. I know that regular rough cut 2" x material gets treated as though you were using #3 spf, I cannot find anything on 4" x 6"s! :blink:

I'm still waiting on the inspector to call me back to enlighten me on this. :whistling
Probably won't hear from him until after Christmas.....maybe.

I was gonna space em 36" oc which will leave me with 32" from inside edge to inside edge but don't want to do nothing until I get some opinions and talk to the inspector.
Total span for the 4" x 6"s will be 12 ft.

Any thoughts? Past experiences with RC lumber?

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can have the lumber graded so it can be used like storebought lumber.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked with the inspector today and was informed that there are no codes concerning 4"x RC and that I'll have to have a structural engineer give his OK on it.
Geezzz man! It's just a little porch! The engineer wants around $800 bucks for his little drawing and stamp!
I love my job sometimes, LOL.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
pdmig said:
It is my understanding that you can use the ungraded lumber, you just have to assume the lowest grade. So just find the lowest grade in the chart and use that size.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Some people like using lumber they cut, or was cut off the property. I've seen it done several times recently. It can be cheaper too, for the bigger lumber anyways, not 2x4's though.

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some people like using lumber they cut, or was cut off the property. I've seen it done several times recently. It can be cheaper too, for the bigger lumber anyways, not 2x4's though.
Funny you say that, here (NC) any RC lumber HAS to be cut off of the property for which it's going to be used, according to the general assembly. :wacko:
What difference does it make? Geezzz!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Funny you say that, here (NC) any RC lumber HAS to be cut off of the property for which it's going to be used, according to the general assembly. :wacko:
What difference does it make? Geezzz!
Interesting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts