Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always replace rotted wood under a patio door, is there a technical term for the wood under the patio door? Im trying to get more get more technical with my sales..my guys just call it wood..i remember another guy referring to a term.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I think most of the other guys have already covered the terms, but it also depends on the extent of the rot. I think "sill" covers the general area, but if it's deep enough, it could affect the rim joist as well as the floor joists, not just the direct subfloor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could he be referring to the trim? I call that a riser. I've heard it called kick plate even though that's technically a metal plate on the bottom rail of the door so you don't scuff the door with your shoe when you kick it open.

That's the only piece of wood under a door that I can think of that isn't immediately obvious what it's called. And on a patio or deck, they seem to rot at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told a " riser", woukdnt that be the piece placed on topof a sub floor?
Is it most common to see a patio door placed directly over the " sub floor"?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was told a " riser", woukdnt that be the piece placed on topof a sub floor?
Is it most common to see a patio door placed directly over the " sub floor"?
Thanks guys
Think stair riser...

What kind of sales are you actually in? You can't be writing contracts, estimates sow's or anything else with your limited knowledge base. How do you sell the stuff?

Maybe ask your employer for some educational literature. It will show him you want to get better at your job.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thats the riser. I was merely talking about the wood directly under a patio door or entry door. I always called it the sill or sub floor but for some reason thought there was another name for it.
I know when we have rotted wood under a patio door, they usually install a new 1 x 6 . I guess i was wondering what the term for that 1 x 6 would be?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Ok, thats the riser. I was merely talking about the wood directly under a patio door or entry door. I always called it the sill or sub floor but for some reason thought there was another name for it.
I know when we have rotted wood under a patio door, they usually install a new 1 x 6 . I guess i was wondering what the term for that 1 x 6 would be?
If needed I've just called it a shim. We use them when we are trying to gain not clearance above a finished floor. Often it's a rip of 1/2" plywood on an entry door so the weatherstripping clears the customer's floor mat.

·
Registered
667 Posts
OUCH! LOL, and ya do exterior work by trade?

I was sent to a job today, to remove a 6' patio door, re-seal the bottom for leaks, re-install, and be done! Didn't happen!!! Tore out door, ripped up wet sub-floor, wet insulation, installed temporary closure, set up "drying equipment" and will do the MOLD issue in the morning, if possible? (didn't have the stuff needed for the mold, or would have started it then), so we will/and do the procedure as needed, to do the needed work.

Education is a valuable tool to have in the "tool box"

And, I do carry a extra 1x6 in my tool bag just in case, for this reason!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts