Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker and finally joined as I'm stumped on what to do here.

I'm working on a 100 year old duplex, which I started to demo the old stairs from slab to second floor and which are attached to the wall dividing the duplex. Stairs dropped about an inch where they connected to the wall, and when everything was cleared out and plaster removed, the bottom couple inches of each stud had rotted out - seemed like due to moisture.

Here are the issues: The old studs are sandwiched in between the brick which is generally poor shape at least on the bottom. There are horizontal wood braces between each stud bay. In a stairwell so not that easy to support the ceiling on my side (but I can), and the new neighbors side if they even wanted to address the issue and give me access - the problem area is located right in their bathroom which may have been remodeled recently - also I have no idea really what is attached to the studs in question on their side.

What are my options to repairing the rotted sections? Part of me hopes I can flush cut the old 2x4 back to good wood, jack the wall up a hair, glue and jam a PT block or splice into the bottom, repoint the brick. Then run the new stair stringer, new PT bottom plate, 2x4 vertical with the flat side connected to the dividing wall (PT splice/old 2x4) and to the stringer. Maybe in areas where the brick is loose and with owners permission remove old brick and jam 2x4's in up to the old horizontal wood brace - above the brace the brick seems in good shape.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You need to find out the source of the moisture and if it is a current problem or one that has been fixed. Have the attached neighbor run all fixtures preferably all at once including washing machine on fill and drain cycle so that all of the drains are running at max capacity. Check for roof leaks on common wall. After resolving water issue rebuild with best modern practices, hangers, pressure treated where appropriate etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll add pictures/diagram later today. For those that have chimed in, the shared main sewer line does run under the slab parallel to this wall, but on the neighbors side. I did suggest we get the line inspected and split the cost.

What field or type of construction do you do?
On the side, Property maintenance / renovations . Kitchens, bathrooms, light electric/plumbing, framing, flooring

is the new bathroom part of the moisture problem .
As far as I can tell, no. I've peeked around where I can and see no active water leaks or dampness anymore. The new owners on the other side have been proactive and done a fair amount of work that the previous slumlord ignored (new roof, I believe they FINALLY capped the main sewer line cleanout where it previously had a piece of plywood/brick). It seems relatively dry right now, but the rot was definitely from previous years issues.

You are the owner?

Try DIYCHATROOM.
I am the owner and also do this work on the side, but do not have a contractor license. I thought due to the complexity of the issue I'd be better off here - but can reach out on DIYchatroom instead.

You need to find out the source of the moisture and if it is a current problem or one that has been fixed. Have the attached neighbor run all fixtures preferably all at once including washing machine on fill and drain cycle so that all of the drains are running at max capacity. Check for roof leaks on common wall. After resolving water issue rebuild with best modern practices, hangers, pressure treated where appropriate etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm going to talk to them and explain and hope they are on board with running all fixtures. I mentioned above but I feel this was from many years ago and possibly a slumlord/GC. At some point the lower 5 steps were replaced from the staircase which I removed, which leads me to believe there must have been some water damage throughout - or the stairs sagged so much this was their solution - estimated lower 5 steps repaired 30+ years ago. Aside from the rotted studs, there's a dampness but I can't see any active leaks. Spring rains may prove otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully this helps clarify the situation. Top of image is self explanatory. Bottom few inches of 2x4 is rotted out.
wallrepair.png

Second image is the plan if permissible. Support the wall/ceiling and cut/replace each section one at a time. Not shown but repoint any loose mortar between bricks. Run the new stringer. Tie the new bottom plate, old 2x4, stringer all together with 2x4 on the flat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Am I reading that you plan to jack up a brick wall? LOL. Maybe a ledger attached at the face of the brick wall with some tar paper between the 2 x ? and though bolts at the correct elevation placed under the existing platform framing. Kind of a guess without a picture. Charge for you extra time; after all it isn't your building and not your fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts