Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a roto rooter? I been kickin around the idea of buying one and adding that service. Are they all the same or is there some to stay away from?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anybody have a roto rooter? I been kickin around the idea of buying one and adding that service. Are they all the same or is there some to stay away from?
I didn't expect that machine to be so heavy(If you're referring to the snake apparatus). I rented one from Lowe's(for personal use) and could not get that thing around, up & down by myself. I bet it weighed 300lbs or more(Easy Rooter).
[Before]-I too was thinking about getting one for extra services, but I found out it was a bear to get up and down the steps. [After]-I still thought it would be a hassle if I maneuvered it around unrolled, but a hair better.

I personally think it's a two man job if you get the bigger one, however, they do make a mini one also.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You need a plumbing license to legally perform this service in Illinois.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You really need a plumbing license to clear drains in Illinois? Government run amuck.
You need a plumbing license to do any type of plumbing work that is not in your own house, they call it protecting the health of the nation.

Reactions: Gary H

·
Board&Pipe Stretcher
47 Posts
I know when I was in Chicago, they had a drain cleaners license that was a sort of lesser plumbing license. Not sure about the rest of the state, or if it still exists, but might look into it.

Here in kansas city, there are 2 - 3 levels of each trade license.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You need a plumbing license to do any type of plumbing work that is not in your own house, they call it protecting the health of the nation.
Yeah, well I call it Horse Excrement. Drain cleaning is not "plumbing work." Running a sewer jetter does not take a 5 year apprenticeship to learn.

I have a septic installers license, should the guy running a septic pumper need the same training as I have? No.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I know when I was in Chicago, they had a drain cleaners license that was a sort of lesser plumbing license. Not sure about the rest of the state, or if it still exists, but might look into it.

Here in kansas city, there are 2 - 3 levels of each trade license.
It's a Drain Layers license, sewer installers have to have one to install sewers in the city, it also qualifies them to clean sewers as long as they are not opening a C.O. or breaking a trap seal inside the dwelling.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Yeah, well I call it Horse Excrement. Drain cleaning is not "plumbing work." Running a sewer jetter does not take a 5 year apprenticeship to learn.

I have a septic installers license, should the guy running a septic pumper need the same training as I have? No.
I don't write the codes, I just follow them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts