Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a rotary laser level, for setting grade and foundations. I need it to have a laser detector. Who makes the best one?

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
There are ones better than the hilti, They just have a good name.
Depends what your doing with it.
I have a Bosch that works great for what I use it for (outside work, with in 100' usually) but some of them can shoot crazy far using a green laser.
How much you wanna spend?

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
they (Hilti, Stabila, Topcon, Johnsons,etc...)all claim the same accuracy, 3mm at 30m (1/16" at 100ft.)

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
There are ones better than the hilti, They just have a good name.
Depends what your doing with it.
I have a Bosch that works great for what I use it for (outside work, with in 100' usually) but some of them can shoot crazy far using a green laser.
How much you wanna spend?
Hilti's good name is with there service, better than hilti, they all claim the same accuracy.
so it comes down to personal choice.
I own a Top-con, have had it for 6 yrs. with zero problems.
If I was working back in the states I probably would go with Johnson's Rotary laser levels, American made and all that bull.
And green lasers are for seeing better the lasers light indoors, for external you still need a beeper.
they cost more too because of how they got to make the light green,
has nothing to do with accuracy

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hilti's good name is with there service, better than hilti, they all claim the same accuracy.
so it comes down to personal choice.
I own a Top-con, have had it for 6 yrs. with zero problems.
If I was working back in the states I probably would go with Johnson's Rotary laser levels, American made and all that bull.
And green lasers are for seeing better the lasers light indoors, for external you still need a beeper.
they cost more too because of how they got to make the light green,
has nothing to do with accuracy
I own a cst berger, with a beeper. I have to hit it to get it to turn on. It's 12 yrs. Old. The green laser on my gun shows up outside, I think. I will try it. I hope I don't freak the neighbors out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mike if you want to go with a keeper, I would go with Leica or David white. Hilti would be good too.When you spend that kind of money you want support.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ive used leica rugby, stabila and hilti. leicas detector has the worst clamping ever. its terrible, end up having to use a tie wire to keep it tight. hilti and stabila are alot better for that and also way more rugged.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Spectra LL500...:thumbsup:

Great machines.
I have the LL400. Highly rugged, I believe it says you can drop it from tripod height onto concrete. Don't get anything that's not self-leveling, someone will bump it...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I have the LL400. Highly rugged, I believe it says you can drop it from tripod height onto concrete. Don't get anything that's not self-leveling, someone will bump it...
Ahhhh, level foundations are so overrated! LOL :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Golden view said:
Thanks Golden View, I just checked it out and found this in the specs. Does this thing show you the true distance in inches of where level is? This is what the specs say.

Digital readout of elevation provides a numeric display of +/- 2-in and shows exactly how far the elevation is from on-grade

If this is the case, that's seems like a great feature.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts