Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready for a new rotary laser level.

Need level, plumb, and square capabilities. +/- 1/8 per 100' is preferable. Also gotta be able to see it indoors with normal amounts of ambient light. Outdoor with a sensor, 500' diameter will fit the bill. In order of importance:

Accuracy
Durability
Visibility

Brand recommendations will suffice, but model references with personal experiences are appreciated. Thanks guys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
We have had a Ct Berger lasermark lmhc(accuracy 3/32 in 100') for 3 years it has worked great above 20 fareinheit If you do more inside work Berger makes a green beam laser. Its 200$ more but you can set grades and has a plumb laser. good luck

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yep, best bang for the buck will be one of the CST Berger models.

Here is a link to a CST Berger LM800GRPKG, this is a visible beam laser with 1/16th at 100' accuracy, 2800' range, rechargable batteries and charger, remote control, tripod and rod, etc. Also has dual slope capability. $949.00 at link below, and there is a guy that posts on here that also sells them, Aiken Colen. He was a little cheaper last time I checked his website, but it seems some links at his site are broken now.

I have the normal beam version of this laser the LM800PKG and a couple of others. And it works great and have not had a problem yet in 3 years, same specs as the visible beam version except for the lasr diode.

http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-b...ary-laser-complete-package-57-lm800grpkg.aspx

http://www.aikencolon.com/

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, best bang for the buck will be one of the CST Berger models.

Here is a link to a CST Berger LM800GRPKG, this is a visible beam laser with 1/16th at 100' accuracy, 2800' range, rechargable batteries and charger, remote control, tripod and rod, etc. Also has dual slope capability. $949.00 at link below, and there is a guy that posts on here that also sells them, Aiken Colen. He was a little cheaper last time I checked his website, but it seems some links at his site are broken now.

I have the normal beam version of this laser the LM800PKG and a couple of others. And it works great and have not had a problem yet in 3 years, same specs as the visible beam version except for the lasr diode.

http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-b...ary-laser-complete-package-57-lm800grpkg.aspx

http://www.aikencolon.com/
Yeah, the LM800GRPKG doesn't have plumb feature as I understand it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Guess I didn't pay attention, thought the LM800 and LM800GR were exactly the same except for the laser diode. Kind of curious why they didn't include the plumb feature on the LM800GR.

Next step up is the AL series lasers, we have a ALGR which has a visible red beam indoors. Basically same specs as LM800 except that is has a higher power laser diode and has a LCD panel with digital readout for slope, etc. They also have a high visibility green beam laser in the AL series the ALHV-G, same 1/16" at 100' spec but you lose the 2800' range. The range on this is 660 feet. Price on AL series is about $300-400 more than the LM800, but is less than half the price of a comparable Topcon, Leica, Spectra lasers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cache,
get in touch with TimUhler on this site. He has a Stabila (forgot the model #) and seems to be reasonably happy with it.

I have also read several posts that highly praised Hilti laser tools.

Whatever you do, don't get a DeWalt:no:. Maybe we got a lemon, but it was really bad. I think over an 1/8 in less than 28 ft. They are not self-leveling, so the error may have had to do with the operator rather than the tool, but for only a little more money, you can have a far better tool.
Just my thoughts.

Graham

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to get one that can do plumb/level but can also do square. Don't get me wrong, the old Pythagorean triples do an ok job. Just slow to do by myself, and not nearly as accurate as a laser that is 1/8" @ 100'.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would reccomend the pls90 for squaring and plumb. But the only rotary laser that can do all 3 that i know of is the Pls hvr 1000. Its basicly a standard self leveling rotary but you can tip it on its side for 90s. I would be skeptical for it would be hard to make the micro adjustments as in the pls 90 for squaring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts