Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with laser mark rotary lasers.Thinking of buying lmh-600,mostly for interior use some exterior. Also anyone own laserjamb tool,think about buying this too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We use a rotary when doing all our basement finishings. Using metal studes we just spin the laser and snap a chalk line on the cement floor and the joists. This puts our top and bottom plate perfectly plumb and our walls are always dead on.

In other words, highly recommended. Theres a ton more uses then just what we use it for, but it saves so much time for us.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have always had problems with construction lasers, I suppose that it it due to the amount of sunlight that we get.
I think that the LazerSights for my pistols and rifles are great.
I just did a side by side comparing a Stanley unit and one that you buy at the QuickyMart. The QM unit, for a couple of bucks, was more accurate on a lot line (200 ft.).

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
PPro said:
We use a rotary when doing all our basement finishings. Using metal studes we just spin the laser and snap a chalk line on the cement floor and the joists. This puts our top and bottom plate perfectly plumb and our walls are always dead on.

In other words, highly recommended. Theres a ton more uses then just what we use it for, but it saves so much time for us.
Yum, drooling...

Visions of a laser putting my plumb bob out to pasture and saving me time...

laser... must get a laser...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Yum, drooling...

Visions of a laser putting my plumb bob out to pasture and saving me time...

laser... must get a laser...
It could quite possibly pay for itself on your first job.
:Thumbs: You should just go out and buy one. :)

I've only been on one basement job that we used a plumb bob to set the walls, and laser is about 100 times faster. We layed out 6 walls, all squared up to each other in about 15 minutes. They really are amazing.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The 'cheapies' that I have seen only operate within 1/4". The good ones are going to run you $600+.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teetorbilt said:
The 'cheapies' that I have seen only operate within 1/4". The good ones are going to run you $600+.
After reading some of the product reviews on amazon i decided to put off buying a lesser brand or model. The lmh 600 runs about $875 w/case only,or $1200 for complete package.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont know the model of the one we used, as it isn't mine. The guy running the job owned it. I do know I overheard him say it was about $650. It was self leveling (I believe most if not all are) and even had a little remote control for it.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I seen

I seen tommy silva and norm abrahams have a laser that you just sit in like a plastic container of water. It floats level then you turn it on and your good to go. Bergenbldr where have you been hiding at. :Thumbs: Oh let me tell you about this other level i seen. Ok it was like a tripod round on top magnetic then you would but these square laser on it and you could put more than one like 2 or 3 or 4 and it shoots lines all over the place. Maybe somebody reading this would have a better explanation of that laser i'm talking about. I guess i would call it a component laser systems meaning it has endless possiblities. :Thumbs: (tripod at stand on legs.)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
A good one is still going to cost you a pile. IMHO The market is not there yet unless you are a hack. It may work for those where +/- 1/4' doesn't matter, I would recommend all others to stay with the old tools.
I have a collection of cheapies, given to me as gifts, pay postage and they are yours.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I'd probably agree with Teetor. I bought one of the inexpensive ones off e-bay and tried to layout a drop ceiling. Needless to say it went back into the case and I used my old level to do the job. The laser doesn't level it'self is the main reason it is useless. At my age I can't see the minute bubbles when it is above my head. Not bad when it is low enough. I can get it level in about 15 minutes. What a time saver :)
I'm sure the good ones are well worth the money if they are used daily. But not me at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts