Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to cut and chip out two holes (approximately 16" x 16") in a concrete patio.

Instead of renting a gas demo saw I was thinking of putting a diamond blade on the worm drive to make my cuts, and chipping out with a rotary hammer.

Is something like a Bosch 11255VSR capable of doing what I'm intending? Or is that way over the tools' capabilities?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think you'd want to step up to an SDS max for that kind of work... I have the bosch 11240 and while it's on the lower end for that size of rotary hammer it has way more power than the smaller ones.

I think the bulldog would handle it but it would take 3-4 times as long or more. If it's just a one time thing and all you'll use it for after is tapcons etc maybe get the bulldog but if you think you'll be using the chipper again in the future step up to an SDS max.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of right now, it is a one time thing.

Obviously I'm constricted by my bank account.

If I can get away with a 1" I'm going to go that route.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If you do it right you shouldn't even need to use a hammer drill.

Plunge cut with the worm drive, then clean up the corners with a carbide blade on a sawzall, smash it to rubble and remove.

I don't think that you will get a complete cut with worm drive though, most patios are 4 inches, you might get 3" or 3 1/2" from the small blade.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Fvck that's nothing, don't over think it, free hand it with a grinder then wack it with a sledge hammer, carry the pieces home in a 5 gallon pail.

....But I'd still use it as an excuse to bust out my near new Hilti TE-2000AVR:whistling

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm going to get myself a Bulldog and give it a whirl.

I'm not renting a demo saw for $110/day for 10 minutes worth of cuts.

It's an old slab, about 30-40 years old. It should be starting to crumble anyway. I wonder if they put wire in it...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I fall into that trap all the time, concrete used to be pretty cheap.

Now if I am doing anything on old concrete I just automatically assume that its 10 inches thick.
Don't ever think that, I had an old set of stairs that looked like it would collapse under my weight. Well that's what it looked like until I took a jackhammer to it. No steel re-enforcement but the concrete was like chiseling through iron. Don't let the ugly stuff fool you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think I'm going to get myself a Bulldog and give it a whirl.

I'm not renting a demo saw for $110/day for 10 minutes worth of cuts.

It's an old slab, about 30-40 years old. It should be starting to crumble anyway. I wonder if they put wire in it...
That sounds like a bad idea... I guess the cool thing to do is ask everyone what they think of something and when they unanimously say not to do it, you then come back and say you'll do it anyway.

OK :thumbup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Old concrete always seems to be stronger than newer concrete. Be careful. I think you'd burn up a hypoid saw and a bulldog in one sitting. But it may work. Don't blame the tools when they give up the ghost early.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Concrete keeps building strength for like 75 years or so.

Our company has real good luck with the Hatachi. Not sure of the model number. Smaller than a Hilti 72, but still packs a punch.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I have the Bulldog and it's a great tool but I do think that's too much job for it. We had a Hilti in the military and they are the cat's meow. They are in a different price category though.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sitdwnandhngon said:
Does it really cost $110 to rent a demo saw? If I was close by I would cut them for you for gas money. It wouldn't take 10 minutes. Know any contractors close by that owe you a favor?
Yes $110. A little steep I think.

That's an awesome offer, I wish I could take you up on it.

I unfortunately don't think I do.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GRS has the demo saw for $60/day.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it's 10 min of work.

Last time I demoed concrete there were spots 8-10" thick and was full of random metal. It literally had a wrout iron headboard and bed frame in it, random pipes, etc.

That $60 rental may be the cheap way, unless you work for free.

I don't have a demo saw but if you need to use my rotary hammer, I would let you borrow it. PM me or give me a call 650-6372 if you need it. This is what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
philcav7 said:
GRS has the demo saw for $60/day. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's 10 min of work. Last time I demoed concert there were spots 8-10" thick and was full of random metal. It literally had a wrout iron headboard and frame in it, random pipes. That $60 rental may be the cheap way, unless you work for free.
I got my price from A&R in Mountain Top. I'll check GRS out, I completely forgot about them.

I was meaning that the cuts would take 10 minutes, cleaning it out will be a bear.

I was thinking of scoring it with the saw and renting a bigger roto hammer to chip it out.

As for working for free, it's for my fiancée's grandfather, so yeah...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.