Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be gutting a bathroom in a couple weeks that is an old mud job on the floor about 3" thick and its got the old tile half way up the walls on a mud job with the wire lath behind it.

The last one I demoed like this was a real bugger!

Anyway I'm looking for a new demolition/rotary hammer, there are so many choices I don't know where to start.

I have a bosch bulldog that does pretty much everything I need. And I also have an old black and decker macho III 1 1/2" capacity for the rare little bigger stuff, and then a bosch brute for the biggest I get into.

I'm looking for a combo demo hammer a little bigger than the black and decker.

Can you guys recommend some specific models to look at?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
339 Posts
DK. How large of core do you think you might need to do ever ?

I have a 11264 Bosch - will do a 4" core that I used for alot of things before I bought my TE-70. 25% of the price to boot.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I used it a lot I would go hilti just based on durability. But if its less frequent use, Bosch, makita, and Hitachi all make a good demo hammer.

I run a similar combo to you. Bosch bulldog sds-plus for small stuff, Hitachi sdsmax for up to 1 1/2 and light chipping and a added a makita 21lbs demo hammer for heavier stuff. It breaks up sonotube footings an occasional set up steps, etc. I wouldn't use it on large slab work, would go rent a brute for that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Newer Makita HR4013C with AVT. I'd put it up against hilti, but then you'd only save money and have a better hammer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know a couple of sparks who use Makita as their staple for the 3/4- 2" EMT needs. They actually tend to rock older Maks or Hitachis

Longevity of a tool, I would choose Big Red 1st and generally Bosch would be a 2nd obvious choice.

The last Mak tool I had was their LS1013, but I would take their Multi Tool if someone was to gift me one of those.

Tough call on reading specs. IMO Hilti specs are conservative - when you look at Blow Energy, etc. Big red is just a better tool in concrete

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would go Bosch as it is best bang for the $$. Bosch is very close to Hilti in almost every way including reliability. Personally I would stay with the European made models over the Chinese made ones.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BC -

Don't pay much to the Blue tools these days. On their SDS+/Max lineup, let's say $300 and above on any of their rotary hammers, care to shed some light on PRC versus Europe models ?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys,

So it looks like the general concensus is hilti #1, that's what I figured. I was thinking bosch, but I am gonna have to take a look at the newer makitas too then. So many tools to look at so little time:laughing:

DK. How large of core do you think you might need to do ever ?

I have a 11264 Bosch - will do a 4" core that I used for alot of things before I bought my TE-70. 25% of the price to boot.

I'm thinking 4" would be the max I would ever do, if even that. Would you say that bosch is pretty comparable to the te-70?

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
BC -

Don't pay much to the Blue tools these days. On their SDS+/Max lineup, let's say $300 and above on any of their rotary hammers, care to shed some light on PRC versus Europe models ?
I know the new 1 9/16" Bosch is made in PRC currently whereas the previous gen version (like mine) is made in Germany. It has less power and less vibration reduction than the previous version.

My model is this one: Bosch 11241EVS

The new model is this one (PRC): Bosch 11240

They also have the 'Bosch RH540M' that was tested in the link above. I am not familiar with it, but it may be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 11264 is not the equivalent of a 70. I would say a Red 60. I don't pay much to specs as I feel Hilti is conservative. The 70 is a much bigger drill

I would say the Anti Vibration in any of the brands, etc is HUGE . I've used a Brute 3X. I have used a anti vibration Brute and it was night-day difference with the anti vibration tech in these new tools.

TILE mud is not that hard...I would easily say any of these medium size rotatry being discussed can handle it. Any brand. If it was me, I would start my list with Anti Vibration Tech and compile my comparisons from there

·
Registered
339 Posts
hmmm..

I have purchases Bosch bits, core bits - 2 5/8, their high torque 1/2 wrench.
All were of European Origian except for their high torque wrench. It was actually made in the USA !

I suppose they are moving their lower line of some more stuff to PRC ??
Curiosity has intrigued me. Local HD I don't think carries the Bosch stuff for me to verify COO...

·
Registered
339 Posts
OT, but just one mans observation....

Hammers just live a rough life.....
I spend money on Hiltis and I buy use their dry core bits.
If I can score long lengths in 3/4", etc great.

If not, it's just Bosch, etc at Homers when I need one.

Notice how most hammer bits are made in some European County. Or at least I have observed Bosch, Milwaukee and Dewalt seem to be. Not Germany, but some European country...

Interestingly enough, I needed a 2 5/8 core on a whim, and picked up a Bosch. It was made in Germany

I DO buy my diamond cores off Ebay from PRC as it's cheap & disposable...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts