Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Looking for a rotary drill, more for the hammer mode. Milwaukee has one for about $300 that has 3.5 lbs of force. Does anyone have any experience to what that would do? It's basically for chipping out a step, or replacing a fence post. Do I need to take the next step up?

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
I would say it depends on how often you are going to use it. I recently bought a bosch that has 6.1 pounds of energy, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RH540M-16-Inch-SDS-Max-Combination/dp/B00HUCUJG6. I used it on a tile tear out job and it worked good. Have used it a dozen or so times in the last couple months and it has been great. I have an older smaller milwaukee sds plus that I use most of the time for drilling and small chisels that is nice. But for brute force the bosch is really nice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think that's going to be a bit light. I have a 1-1/8" Milwaukee SDS, and though it's a good unit for stripping tile and drilling holes, chipping out steps or footings would put the hurt to it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have Milwaukee 5352 .says it 4100 blows per min .anyhow it will not do much in the line of chipping concrete . actually really slows down drilling over 7/8" bit which they call it's max size .i would like a bigger one .
JLC nov 2005 has a review on combination hammer drills .they reviewed 6 machines .guess who was the slowest --- Bosch 11241evs . I was surprised ,real surprised of just how much slower .hitachi mod dh40mr was the fastest in this review.
they call these 1 9/16 inch models . i would like to be able to use a few before i bought one .Any how the review claims these are are good for chipping .
Do a google search or something .someone did an excellent review a year or so ago . dewalt was the best one of that one as i recall .
but you will have to get a bigger machine then you were talking most likely

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have Milwaukee 5352 .says it 4100 blows per min .anyhow it will not do much in the line of chipping concrete . actually really slows down drilling over 7/8" bit which they call it's max size .i would like a bigger one .
JLC nov 2005 has a review on combination hammer drills .they reviewed 6 machines .guess who was the slowest --- Bosch 11241evs . I was surprised ,real surprised of just how much slower .hitachi mod dh40mr was the fastest in this review.
they call these 1 9/16 inch models . i would like to be able to use a few before i bought one .Any how the review claims these are are good for chipping .
Do a google search or something .someone did an excellent review a year or so ago . dewalt was the best one of that one as i recall .
but you will have to get a bigger machine then you were talking most likely
Interesting. The article I saw from JLC put this hammer above the Makita and Milwaukee for power/speed. It also tied for second overall.

:thumbsup:

I have this hammer and it is certainly not slow by any means.

That said, it is not for concrete demo. You will want a larger hammer for that.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Interesting. The article I saw from JLC put this hammer above the Makita and Milwaukee for power/speed. It also tied for second overall.

:thumbsup:

I have this hammer and it is certainly not slow by any means.

That said, it is not for concrete demo. You will want a larger hammer for that.
do you know the article .i have stacks of the magizines .would like to read it .get more info . the tool reviews certainly have flaws . you need to experience the tool in person sometimes .

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
With a rotary hammer, the bigger the better. I just took my Bosch in because the hammer mechanism is not functioning. Wish I had bought a bigger drill. It's good for concrete, but granite slows it way down. I can't remember the model number, but it is one of the smaller with sds max.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i agree with last statement about bigger being better .i have a hammerdrill for small stuff .if i am doing 1/2" and bigger bits I want to get down and do it! . the rotary hammer i have says it is good up to 7/8" bit ,they are not kidding . i would like to be able to have the ability to run a spade bit for digging in something smaller then my demo hammer . sounds like a bigger combo machine not only drills well but they can do chipping and digging .

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
I have several hammers.
I use the Bosch bulldogs daily.
I use a 2" Makita combo hammer
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-HR5210...067700&sr=8-5&keywords=makita+2+rotary+hammer
and a couple Milwaukee demo hammers
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-544...4067762&sr=8-1&keywords=milwaukee+demo+hammer

if you are looking at a tool for the hammer mode look at a demo hammer they pack much more punch per $.
The makita combo hammer and the milwaukee demo hammer you linked to both are rotary hammers right? From what I read on the link to the milwaukee it drills also. So what makes it a "demo" hammer? When I think demo hammer I think mini jack hammer type tool that doesn't rotate at all.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Makita is a combohammer
the Milwaukee is a demo hammer. No rotation only hammering.

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
The Makita is a combohammer
the Milwaukee is a demo hammer. No rotation only hammering.
I thought it was hammer only but someone on the amazon link said it drills also. Guess they got confused.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to that style demo hammer vs one like a mini jack hammer like this, http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D25899...F8&qid=1434119050&sr=8-3&keywords=demo+hammer, since they both only hammer? I have a few smaller hammer drills, a milwaukee sds plus roto hammer, and a bosch sds max roto hammer so I think if I got another it would be a demo hammer and just wondering.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bigger is better IMO. I'm not sure which Bosch Rotary Hammer I have, tried several and got the largest one I could readily hold up in the air. Maybe it's an older version of this...http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-11264EVS-SDS-Max-Combination-Hammer/dp/B0020ML69K/ref=dp_ob_title_hi .

I bought it for drilling holes in rubble stone foundations but use it more for chipping concrete, ice and digging hard pan or frozen ground. Easy peasy, makes me smile when I use it. One of these days I'll get a tamping bit.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
lube the drive. Chipping out an old step should not be an issue, nor is an old fence post. A lot depends on your bit. Shorter bits deliver more energy. Also don't get a spade bit for something that can use a chisel

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
good to see the bosch doing better in that article . I think what I have learned from these reviews .You cannot go by brand . Then again never trust a review totally either .
good to see hilti got first place being bet it cost alot more .
good article .thanks for posting

1 - 20 of 40 Posts