Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all!

We have a basement finish project that was originally 2 rooms (and a landing area at the bottom of the stairs). We installed HVAC for the entire basement for future expansion and we have numerous conduits running from unfinished areas to the mechanical room for future expansion. However, the owner now wants to finish the small room noted by the red arrow.

My problem is I am having a form of writer's block since I can not come up with a creative use for this room. Originally it was to be a kitchenette but we added a under counter microwave behind the bar and built a full sized frig behind the bar under the stairs.

A wine cellar makes no sense since they are not really into wine and we have a couple of windows. The room is 9'2x10'4 so too small to be a bedroom and no one would want a bedroom next the media room. Further, the bedroom will eventually be in the large unfinished area to the right of the home.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... and thank you in advance for suggestions..

Attachments

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
I use the term office alot for those types, here in denver they soon will require any basement finishing regardlass if it is getting a bedroom they are going to have to put in an egress.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

It will definitely not be a bedroom due to its size and lack of space for a closet. It does have 2 windows that meet egress and the entire right side is open to ground level with half dozen windows in the future expansion area.

An office may make sense as we could do a built in desk with some shelving/storage/etc. The guy does not have an office in the house but not sure who often he works from home. I would have to do a fair amount of sound-proofing the common wall with the media room but that is not terrible.

One idea thrown out was a media room library but seems like a waste of space for a bunch of CDs. Haven't seen their media library, who knows maybe they are still on VCR or even Beta :eek:.

Anyone else got an idea for a 90 sf room??

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
In Omaha, Nebraska they require all basement remodels to have an egress regardless of what you call a room.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I am meeting clients later today to present several options and will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, I was thinking exercise room as well... Or what about a walk in cedar closet? I did one about that size a few years back... Besides some hanging bars, you could put up some shelving for the plastic storage tubs as well... Women love that stuff...
Depending on the family's needs, maybe a storage, or extra linen closet. I personally would like the exercise room.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to post results. Looks like exercise room is the final choice. Couple of extra strategically placed outlets, cable for the wall mount tv, a couple of ceiling mounted speakers and a rubber floor and we are ready to roll.

Thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

·
remodeler
40 Posts
I know that my wife is into scrapbooking, and she would like an area in out basement so she could have friends over to scrapbook. I would see if the wife is into scrapbooking and see if she wants a cropping room. It could also be set up as an all round hobby room.

Another idea is if they have young kids it might be nice to have a play room for the younger ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts