Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for ideas on a room addition using this second floor covered balcony; would be used as a small spare guest bedroom. It would be on the side of the balcony with a door into the main area. Remainder of the balcony would stay as is. Any thoughts on feasibility of this? :whistling

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,895 Posts
Very feasible. The loads arent much different.

Budget.

Architectural committee/HOA/POA approval.

Engineering

Design

Build

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$50,000 was the budget. Never done this, so inclined to pass. But every bid is a learning process, even the ones you don't win.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they told me their budget is 50k. I'm thinking 25k cost at most ! Load bearing should be same..I have to incorporate a windows. Seems straightforward. Has anyone done this?

·
632 Posts
What kind of animal does that cage keep in? You might want to charge more for that.

Just kidding, golf course?

·
Super Moderator
28,895 Posts
Now to me, $50k seems like a good price that I could make money on.

Funny how we differ.

Andy.
It probably is. But with all the " oh, while yall are here" stuff that is bound to go with it, and I assumed there was a bathroom. Maybe a bad assumption. If it had a custom bathroom that is just over a 100 a ft for a remodel with a bathroom, judging by the sq ft. Can get pretty tight.

·
Super Moderator
28,895 Posts
Actually looks like quite a bit less sq ft than 500, looking at it and re reading.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Obviously it's physically feasible. All you can do is estimate it using your normal methods, then decide whether or how to sell it and turn it into a formal bid.

Given what I would expect even as minimum expected finishes for that location, I couldn't touch it for that price. But that's my location, my costs, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sabagley said:
What kind of animal does that cage keep in?
that was my first thought (or do they have problems with goats getting on the porch?)

Or is this where they are keeping Governor Blagoavich for getting caught breaking laws in Illinois ?

And if they say 50k to add a room I'd add 15% to it cover all the things like jaws said or grave errors in the project. (my opinion is to aim too high and lose is way less painful then to aim to low and shoot yourself in the foot and win. To be stuck on a job your making money on Is way better then shutting the doors on your business) I seem to get the call from a homeowner that usually has something like "the last time I heard from the contractor working on this his crew all quit and his vehicle had broke down so it would be a while for him to come back to the job and now his cell phone is disconnected and I don't know what to do" in the story.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How is the outside of it going to be done? Ceiling,wiring,etc.
Match the stucco?
Scaffolding ?
What does labour go for there ? :eek:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You apparently have a budget (based on something) and location. - Do you have drawing the cover the right kind of windows, access and egress and the amount of electrical?

If you have something to go by you can give a firm price for a contract you can live with.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
Details on this make a difference. If it takes a new electrical panel to handle the added lights / recepticles, you're going to put out a couple grand just to get it code compliant, unless it already has AFCI breakers. A sub panel would be cheaper, as long as what's there can handle it.

I wouldn't assume the structure would handle the added loads - you'd need a peek to see. Codes may also want to see - maybe the footings as well.

Then there's any interior holes for electric, hvac, etc. that have to be run. No way to tell how much it's going to cost to to get everything patched and matched.

Then, there is always the esthetics...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts