Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on the procedures of spraying interiors. what to spray first, what to tape up ect. Or if you could lead me in the right direction for some info I would be greatful. I have a graco 190es.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
CurbAppeal NC said:
I need some info on the procedures of spraying interiors. what to spray first, what to tape up ect. Or if you could lead me in the right direction for some info I would be greatful. I have a graco 190es.
New work?

·
Registered
44 Posts
:eek: is it new construction ,repaint ect. need more info. on new con. with no trim up ,,mask all windows ,doors ect. that you dont want overspray on. then start on cieling,then do walls .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All Repaints!

these are all rental houses and apt.s. What is the most cost effective way to cover all the carpet? Is it true to not have the heatpump/ac running for safetyu reasons? Do you tape the trim, spray wall, then paint trim or do you paint trim, tape trim, then spray wall. soory for all the Q's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spraying is not always the answer, 18" rollers and proper power rollers can chew threw the work pretty quickly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
CurbAppeal NC said:
these are all rental houses and apt.s. What is the most cost effective way to cover all the carpet? Is it true to not have the heatpump/ac running for safetyu reasons? Do you tape the trim, spray wall, then paint trim or do you paint trim, tape trim, then spray wall. soory for all the Q's.
CurbAppeal NC:

Fire me off an e-mail [email protected]
I will walk you through some of the steps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I recently purchased a sprayer and did my first job with it. It was a 1200sq.ft. condo. The unit was empty. The way I did it was as follows
1) Trim and Doors with semi gloss
2) Taped off trim and doors
3) Walls with satin
4) Taped off walls , draped plastic to the floor
5) Ceilings flat

Was this the best procedure ? Comments ?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Rich said:
I recently purchased a sprayer and did my first job with it. It was a 1200sq.ft. condo. The unit was empty. The way I did it was as follows
1) Trim and Doors with semi gloss
2) Taped off trim and doors
3) Walls with satin
4) Taped off walls , draped plastic to the floor
5) Ceilings flat

Was this the best procedure ? Comments ?
I would think it would be more effcient to just cut and roll. Before I could get the entire apt. wrapped I could have had the job done ;)

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
donb1959 said:
I would think it would be more effcient to just cut and roll. Before I could get the entire apt. wrapped I could have had the job done ;)

I have to agree with Don on this one. When the prep (masking, covering finished flooring, setting up and cleaning up the sprayer) to spray a job is going to take longer than it is to spray it, it always seems more economical to me to throw a tarp down and get to work rolling and cutting. Now new construction is a different story, obviously, and it has to be a large enough space to warrent the hassle of using the sprayer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In this neck of the woods, apartments are sprayed. I know of only one brush and roll guy. The reason, an average 2 bedroom apartment can be painted in an average time of about 2 1/2 to 3 hours by one person. Mind you this is not custom work. In reality, it can barely be called painting. I have been doing this for years, and expect my painters to be able to paint 3 a day. My lead crew, a husband and wife team routinely paint 5 a day.

Once you get systems in place, you can really fly. Now I am not saying what we do is in any way close to what the majority of professional painters do, but we fill a need. Our job is to make the apartment re-rentable. The going rate for a 2 bedroom is under $200 with the painter supplying the paint. As I understand it, that price will get about half a bedroom painted by most of you.

The only thing I don't understand from some of you, is the time it takes to set up your equipment. I can set up my machine in less than 10 minutes. Mind you we are going from one color of off white to another.

Just my 2 cents,

Al

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Al Truistic said:
I have been doing this for years, and expect my painters to be able to paint 3 a day. My lead crew, a husband and wife team routinely paint 5 a day.
Al
Yeah you're right if I needed to paint 3-5 apartments I would set up the sprayer. What you're talking about doesn't include any trim, windows, doors or prep work. I can paint a 600 sq foot apartment for around $150 but I'm not even going to wash the walls first. Just get in there throw a tarp down and spray.

This isn't the kind of paint job that most residential homeowners expect from a painting contractor. In an apartment building or condo they just want the paint to look good for the showing and last until the next tennant gets in there. Renters don't have a very good reputation of giving a damn about the walls anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well spraying does take some practice, and your approach depends on the type of job you are doing. However some rules of thumb are:

1. Spray ceilings first
2. mask any areas, or objects that you don't want overspray on
3. There is no need to mask trim or baseboards unless you are not goin to paint it

4. If you are not painting trim then mask it completely with masking paper and
masking tape.
5. overlap your sprays by 50% to prevent missed spots and tails.
6. hold spray gun 12 to 18 inches from wall or ceiling.

if you do all of this you will be fine, and most importantly have fun doing it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did my first one today and everything went off without a hitch, looks beautiful. Im just kiking myself for not spraying sooner. saved alot of time. thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts