Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might remember, I contracted with Feazel Roofing. It is a large corp. with a local office.
It was stipulated that I was to be notified when the work was to be started and agreed that I would be able to work with the crew to replace the gable ends, fascia and shingle mould (which they don't do). I knew that there was some sheathing to be replaced and I wanted to check the tiedowns through the holes. There was a final decision to be made about the use of Grace and I wanted to ensure that the sheathing was nailed to the MDHVWC.
I came home for lunch and left at 12:20. At around 5:00 ol' #2 called and told me that the roof had been 'done'. When I got home, sure enough, the tearoff and dry in had been completed with some stuff called Sharkskin and plastic caps (will a metal roof lay flat on top of plastic caps?). Because they don't do gable ends and I have a stepped roof, they elected to reuse the old flashing in these areas. Then comes the rain and I have leaks through the soffit in 2 places.
I'm beginning to go thermo-nuclear but before I detonate on these guys, I'd like to hear some other opinions. BTW, all of the above is in the contract.
Met, I should have gotten you down here, it may not be too late.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If they said that they would tell you and didn't they violated the contract. I wouldn't be too worried about leaks at this point because it is not a finished product.

I always repalce all flashings period. What does your contract say will happen with flashings?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Hey now Teetor, you should have asked me down, at least I do what I say, and it sounds like that alone would kill half the problem.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, you would think that wouldn't you? There are 2 companies that I used to rent space to, overlooked habitual late payments for years and hooked them up with big time GC/Developers. One might think that when you needed help, that they would be at your doorstep, right? Wrong! One of them at least gave me the courtesy of saying that he would show up but never did.
I guess everything goes by the wayside when the big insurance dollars are flowing out of every front door.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My understanding is that Sharkskin is limited to plywood substrates and slopes over 2:12. Good underlayment, but not self-adhered. Will survive hurricanes better than felt, but not as good as GIWS.
Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cannot understand why your contractor does not perform basic carpentry repairs on the roof. If I had to wait for a carpenter to come along, I'd never get anything done. Geez, a tape measure, speedsquare, chalk line and level, the tools are self explanatory.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you, or your contractor.

Best regards,

DE

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Dr. Tb

Hey I read your bio.... PHD in Hydrodynamics!!!?? we should be refering to you as Dr.

the caps won't telegraph thru the metal panels, We will not use old flash period. I'm on fence about GIWS. The thinking goes like this, if the metal lifts off, it's probably taking the deck with it or rather vise versa. After saying this, the job we start tomorrow has peel and stick, the customer insisted.
good luck doc, Met

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Met, some of my old friends still refer to me as Dr. BTW, B.S. means bull s**t, M.S. means more s**t, P.H.D means piled higher and deeper.

I came home for lunch today just before 2 and had water all over the wood flooring. I traced it back to a leak coming from a can light in the kitchen, also found the ceiling wet in the home theater adjacent to the kitchen.
I called Feazel Roofing and they told me that they would have someone here by 3:00. I called again at 3:45 and was assured that someone was on the way, it's now 4:45 and still nobody. I still had 3 appointments this afternoon.
I'm beginning to think that I've made a tragic mistake. Maybe it's time to bail and get my deposit back.
Think that I should give them 50% of the tearoff? The next company will have an easier job.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Maybe it's time to bail and get my deposit back.
Think that I should give them 50% of the tearoff? The next company will have an easier job.
Have you got "the next company" on the hook already? If not, how long before the next guy can hit it?

Personally, if I was looking at terminating a contract, I wouldn't be paying anything until the work was complete, all costs were in and other accounts settled. Good luck.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Teetor, how many square? what are throwing out ($)? pitch? Shingle? and do ya have a couple spare rooms? Time to pack up the fellas. Sunshine and palm trees. Just what I need.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob, About 42 sq.
Ol'#2 says 'no room for drifters'. Sorry.
Why do you think that I live here? For the megopolis? I'm here for the experience.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Drifters....LOL. Never been called that.

I was thinking along the lines of a little work/vacation. I used to live in Jax and FL sounds better pretty good good to work for three or four days then enjoy the beach.

However it looks like your project is in the NOW phase, like no roof now. It would take for warning to make the trip so if you run in to somthing a few weeks down the road, I have exelent help, also I'm a very skilled craftsman.

Just some thoughts
Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob, wheels are turning. The BIG dude is supposed to contact me tomorrow. I should have bit the bullet and done this myself but there is a clause in the ins. that doesn't allow that.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am here. 2 thunderstorms later and 2 more leaks in the same place. I am SO over this.
The last repair crew found a slash in the underlayment. Today was a steady drizzle. Still leaking from the soffits, I decided to conduct a survey. This is what I found.
A patchwork of flashing and roofing compound obviously done 'just to get by' and collect the next check.
Rotten shingle mould that was just flashed over and allows the water to flow between the fascia and gutters.
Flat roof allows 'pooling'.
Nails driven(?) into rotten and split wood.
Tomorrow the owner has a Black Friday.
I can't believe that this all passed inspection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Where was the supervison? Should you have contracts depending on the weather?

"It only leaks when it's raining!" :rolleyes:

BAH!

Put yourself in the owners' galoshes. If you were the victim of such incompetence, how would you feel?

Unless my non-roofing self misunderstands, it sounds like you are blaming some entity that works for you. Which means you should blame yourself.

They are you.

What?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
"They are you?" GCman theres no excuse for some moron trying to nail through rotted wood.

Teetor, you would be doing the fella a favor by jumping his A$$, maybe he will think twice about picking up soup kitchen help the next time he hears a bond money sob story.

By the way, can anyone loan me some money for bond, well ya see it's this fine I............:cheesygri

Bob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts