Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My builder initially installed the incorrect shingles on my new home. I forced him to remove them completely and reinstall the proper shingles. However, he did not replace the underlayment -basically reused it. Is this acceptable or proper(is there a code for this)? Will this lead to leaks -probably.. Will this void the shingle warrenty?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I would say NO. It's not good building practice, but it is "Accepted" in some areas and would probably pass code in those areas.

Your felt now has twice the holes it would have had. Also your ice shield has holes with nothing to seal around (the nails).

If the shingles were installed properly you shouldn't have leaks. If water gets under the shingles for any reason, you will probably have some leaks.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Hmmmmm. I agree with Grumpy....again. Never reuse punctured roofing material, methinks.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Why in the world would ylu have a policy of no tear off? What do you do if there is too much roofing already installed? Do you just pass on it? What is the reasoning?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was gonna say, I would think it would be a major PIA to try and tear off a roof and leave the felt paper intact. Ice guard you could manage, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts