Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but when you do a roof quote for someone, do YOU include how many bundles is required on the quote for them?

In 9 years, I have never done this...and today I had a client email me back asking how many bundles because she "might get them from a friend".

Now, personally I feel that I spent my time measuring the roof and preparing the quote. And I feel that if the case is actually that she wants another roofer to give her a quick quote, he should take the time to go measure himself.

I don't separate how much materials will be and how much installation will be on my roof quotes.

Anyway, it just kinda threw me back a little. Would you tell her exactly what materials were needed?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my go to line when asked to itemize is " history has proven that itemized proposals are an avenue for the less inclined to step up to the plate"
Ok...I can interpret that a few different ways though. Are you implying the "less inclined" is the homeowner? Or competition?

Lol sorry it's been a long day already. Maybe I'm in over-analyzation mode today.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It shouldn't matter i would never let a customer buy materials like that anyways. I have only done it twice, once was for a guy that worked for the shingle manufacturer. And another was for a woman who already had two pallets of shingles in her garage when i showed up for the estimate, and she had 20% more than we needed, and we supplied all the other accessories.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Our proposals used to include number of sqs but we took it off after a homeowner told the competition what my measurements were right in front of me. Mostly I was irritated that I climbed all over a cut up roof on 95 degree day and the homeowner gave the information away. Every once in a while people tell me the competitions measurements but I always measure the roof myself to verify.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our proposals used to include number of sqs but we took it off after a homeowner told the competition what my measurements were right in front of me. Mostly I was irritated that I climbed all over a cut up roof on 95 degree day and the homeowner gave the information away. Every once in a while people tell me the competitions measurements but I always measure the roof myself to verify.
I've had that happen as well....they tell me what someone else measured. But I always get up and do it myself. I had one client tell me the roofer told them just to tell him the square footage of the house. If you can't make it out to do a measure and quote for yourself, there's something wrong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
crissyissy said:
Just curious, but when you do a roof quote for someone, do YOU include how many bundles is required on the quote for them? In 9 years, I have never done this...and today I had a client email me back asking how many bundles because she "might get them from a friend". Now, personally I feel that I spent my time measuring the roof and preparing the quote. And I feel that if the case is actually that she wants another roofer to give her a quick quote, he should take the time to go measure himself. I don't separate how much materials will be and how much installation will be on my roof quotes. Anyway, it just kinda threw me back a little. Would you tell her exactly what materials were needed?
Just tell her you don't do labor only jobs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just tell the customers there is no way they are going to get the shingles cheaper than me, no one seems to have any problems with that answer so far. One specific group of people tend to think they can find everything cheaper then I can.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I never give out that info, The word (approx) appears on my estimates all the time. Replace both windows in master bedroom approx 51 x 34 $***.xx. Reroof entire house approx 15sq, 1 billion $

·
Registered
368 Posts
We get asked this now and then, and all we do is give them a labour only price with no guarantee regarding the material. The labour only price is real simple to figure out for us, since its just (our price -our material cost)x1.2.
Some people go for it, maybe one a year and its occasionally a pain in the arse, so they pay for it. We give them an itemized list of what we need upon contract signing + deposit check, never before.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
How many bundles are required? All of them. That customer will want to see a credit for the remaining materials I can foresee it now.

Rrrrrr those customers are not going to make good referrals, not going to be easy customers and are not going to be my customers.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'd ask if her friend was going to put the shingles on the roof for you

And if this friend with only reading skills and the ability to make multiple choice guesses based on reading materials alone (not on actual installation experience) over and over until the right question is answered they can become a CertainTeed Certified whatever and help you do the job correctly.
:laughing::no::laughing:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
We get asked this now and then, and all we do is give them a labour only price with no guarantee regarding the material. The labour only price is real simple to figure out for us, since its just (our price -our material cost)x1.2.
Some people go for it, maybe one a year and its occasionally a pain in the arse, so they pay for it. We give them an itemized list of what we need upon contract signing + deposit check, never before.
You guarantee materials?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts