Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40 year old house in Southern Ontario with a belly in it. It runs from ridge to the facia and from gable end to gable end. The trusses appear to be hand cut and made on site. What would be a way of taking the belly out of it. They used 1x6 boards to cover it. I tought of laying out a new roof on top and support it where necessary, but how would I vent it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 6/12 pitch. The ridge board is strait, the gable ends are strait and the ewce is strait. Its about 1-1/2 imcg low in the middle and slopes out in all directions to about 2 feet from the edges. I am rippong boards to fill in the belly then re wheat the roof. It is layed out at 16 inch centers. I will get into the attic to check the bracing and reinforce wher necessary

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,401 Posts
Its a 6/12 pitch. The ridge board is strait, the gable ends are strait and the ewce is strait. Its about 1-1/2 imcg low in the middle and slopes out in all directions to about 2 feet from the edges. I am rippong boards to fill in the belly then re wheat the roof. It is layed out at 16 inch centers. I will get into the attic to check the bracing and reinforce wher necessary
:blink: Is there a translator in the house?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to type from blackberry when the letters are really small is brutal. I will respond more when I get to the office in the morning

·
Registered
647 Posts
You are attempting to attack the symptoms and not the problem. go in the attic, jack up the rafters til they all plane out properly, and add bracing to keep them there. Main thing to watch for is cracked ceilings when you do it but if you spread the weight of lifting and bracing across the joists, it usually works fine. Done it many times over the years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard of trying to jack the rafters back to strait, but being bent the way they are and the dryness of the rafters, I would definitely get splitting, if not a cracked ceiling below. The other thing is whoever was the shmuck who decided it would be more energy efficient to fill the attic space with blown insulation and block all the sofit vents so my roof doesn't breath which would contribute to the mess I have now. The bracing in the attic is bang on. I am going to check and see if the tail ends of the rafters are still nailed together. I will add pic's tonight when I get home when I get the chance. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You'd be suprised at how much lift you will get out of them without splitting. How many layers are on it now? The roof always gves a big sigh of relief to get all that weight off it too. You can practically hear it...***ahhhhhhhhh***** Then it's happy to straighten out for ya

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there was 2 layers on the roof and there was no sigh. I am kinda under the gun, forecast is calling for some rain. I have to get the new ply down and get the roof felt on or I am going to be in trouble. Once its all done, I will be looking for suggestions to re-inforce it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What you can do is attache and shim wood purlins, then attach a metal roof.
Something like a exposed fastener type like from Metal Sales
The metal panels will not need a solid surface . The panels will bridge the purlins. Your end result will be a same plane roofing application.

·
Banned
18 Posts
A roofing vent helps pull out the hot air and moisture from your home.

Roofing vents help to make your roof last longer also. Since the hot air escapes the attic area, there's less chance of snow thawing and refreezing on the shingles of the house. This causes damage and eventually leaks in the roof.

Proper roof ventilation doesn't consist of either an intake or an exhaust, proper roof ventilation should comprise of both of these important elements in order to create effect air circulation in and out of your home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts