Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to All,
I have a serious problem. In 1990 I had a new roof installed on my house. I received a 25 year warranty. The roof is now leaking over the garage area in my home. My problem is I can not find the paper work for the job nor the warranty. In addition, I can not remember the company who performed the job. Is there a way I can find out who installed the roof in 1990? Do companies have to registar or something when they install a roof on someone's property? Do the company have accountablility for property installation? Please help with information and advice. Thank you so very much.
Church :cry: :cry:
Please email me at [email protected] with information. I am in need for advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The 25 year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty I assume. A manufacturer's warranty usually says nothing about leaks, it only covers material defects.Ie: Blisters cracking curling etc... I know in my area we give labor warranties typically of 10 years, and this is twice the norm.

If a permit was obtained, contact your local building dept. The roofer should be listed on the permit application.

The problem is even if you find out the roofer, you really have no warranty against leaks. Like I said our labor warranty, which is the leak part of the warranty, only lasts 10 years and that's considered an excellent warranty. The manufacturer will do nothing if the leak is not caused by a defect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Churchldy,

Grumpy's statement is right on the money. In regards to your question of whether the company has any accountability for property installation (assuming you meant "proper" and are referring to the company that installed your roof) Sure, they do, either by the length of the warranty, or the state law requirements (minimum)

But, if your roof has been leak free for 14 years.....I would venture to say, it was installed properly. More than likely what you are experiencing is some sort of material breakdown, probably around a penetration treatment, or flashing detail. After 14 years, this does happen. It is also possible there has been damage to the roof which of course is not under the control of the contractor or the manufacturer. Have a roofer check the problem out.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Another possibility is wind driven rain or animal damage.

Anita is right also. Everything ages. We encourage our customers to inspect their roofs once a year after the warranty period is up, or if they are not comfortable doing so, we will for them for a minimial fee per inspection.

B

·
0 Posts
Help finding roofer!

churchldy said:
Hello to All,
I have a serious problem. In 1990 I had a new roof installed on my house. I received a 25 year warranty. The roof is now leaking over the garage area in my home. My problem is I can not find the paper work for the job nor the warranty. In addition, I can not remember the company who performed the job. Is there a way I can find out who installed the roof in 1990? Do companies have to registar or something when they install a roof on someone's property? Do the company have accountablility for property installation? Please help with information and advice. Thank you so very much.
Church :cry: :cry:
Please email me at [email protected] with information. I am in need for advice. Thank you.

One thing you might do is to call your bank and have them look up and make copies of the checks you wrote in that time period. Banks keep check records on microfilm for many years. I'm not sure if they will give you that service free?

check out this roof job www.microfilmplus.com/house.html

Good luck .. Ben

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Checks or no checks, If the roof has lsted past the installers warranty, what remediation do you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Contact a local roofer to inspect your roof for any weather related damage. If its weather related, you may be able to have your insurance fork over the bill.

Otherwise, look to fix with an easy solutions recommended by the roof inspector/company.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the leak Up against the wall, might be step flasing or maybe the orginal installers say that it was a garage, and didn't bother, with an ice and water shield, nor would i but 15 years later stuff happens just be thankfull it's your garage...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seven replies and seven months later and no response from the homeowner? Undoubtably you guys just didn't give her? the answer she was looking for.:no: Did anybody actually email her?:yawn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts