Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem with my roof which was just installed 8 months ago. After a 50 mph wind event. I noticed these lines and can not figure out the problem. Sheathing is self-spacing 5/8 zip roof. After inspecting the attic and rafters all the sheathing is laying perfectly flat on the rafters the way they should. No lifting or bulging. Used felt paper under the shingles. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow i can't believe it, the video definetely shows the tape pushing up. I wouldn't think that would be enough force to push up through the shingles. Thanks for the video. I guess there is not much I can do.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Did u felt as u shingled?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I suppose it's not needed but it's good practice not to bond the shingles to the deck just like I paper over ice. Nothing worse than servicing it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This is a good topic. Does anyone know the durability of these systems once the roof is on? Would it leak if say a hurricane blew the shingles off?

I wonder this as when shingles are blown off (in an adequate thickness 5/8" over 7/16" or even 3/8") the nails are usually still in the deck.

When Zip Systems are used (I've never actually used it) only the seams are taped so it seems the nails in the field are water resistant.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Roofcheck said:
This is a good topic. Does anyone know the durability of these systems once the roof is on? Would it leak if say a hurricane blew the shingles off? I wonder this as when shingles are blown off (in an adequate thickness 5/8" over 7/16" or even 3/8") the nails are usually still in the deck. When Zip Systems are used (I've never actually used it) only the seams are taped so it seems the nails in the field are water resistant.
. Does a roof with felt, or titanium leak when it doesn't have shingles on it? Yes and definitely when it's got a million staples or cap nails in it

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This is a good topic. Does anyone know the durability of these systems once the roof is on? Would it leak if say a hurricane blew the shingles off?

I wonder this as when shingles are blown off (in an adequate thickness 5/8" over 7/16" or even 3/8") the nails are usually still in the deck.

When Zip Systems are used (I've never actually used it) only the seams are taped so it seems the nails in the field are water resistant.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'm thinking something different. I see guys put shake style roofs on without gauging the face of the shingle. If it needs 5 1/2" to the weather, guys are lining the shingle up with the top of the lap. (not explained well)
Then after about 4' they chalk a line to get started straight again. That course of shingles laps over the next course down. This creates a shadow line. If they would gauge the shingles correctly, the shadow line would be on every course.
You can see it in the summer also. There will be a darker line every 4' or so.
Maybe not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts