Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling a very old house. The whole house has maple floors. Every room we were able to sand and get ready to refinish. Then we came to the last bedroom and there is vinyl tile over the hardwood. Half of the room the tiles just popped up. Then we run into tar paper/roofing paper that is between the tiles and hardwood. It must of been there for years because it will not come up. It is stuck to the hardwood flooring and has to be scraped off. Is there an easier way to get remove the roofing paper other than a hand scraper? Is there a solvent the will dissolve the tar like mess on the hardwood? Would steam work?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,335 Posts
Naphtha...it dries faster than mineral spirits. I'd do some light coats instead of saturating. I can't imagine naphtha screwing up sanding as long as it is allowed to dry.. I've been using it for years with no problems.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
rstarre said:
I am remodeling a very old house. The whole house has maple floors. Every room we were able to sand and get ready to refinish. Then we came to the last bedroom and there is vinyl tile over the hardwood. Half of the room the tiles just popped up. Then we run into tar paper/roofing paper that is between the tiles and hardwood. It must of been there for years because it will not come up. It is stuck to the hardwood flooring and has to be scraped off. Is there an easier way to get remove the roofing paper other than a hand scraper? Is there a solvent the will dissolve the tar like mess on the hardwood? Would steam work?
So I ran into something similar a few years ago on a house built in 1910. 2 layers of linoleum, then masonite, then original linoleum that had been painted, then felt over ash flooring. Thinner didn't faze it. I asked my 80 y o fil, who laid tile all his life , and he said try water, cause it was horse glue they used back then and it was water soluble. So I would flood like a 3x3 patch, wait 20 mins and the stuff came right up. Wash a few more times to clean up and voila! Old guys know sh*t.

Reactions: pinwheel
1 - 16 of 16 Posts