Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The contractor that will be installing the roof on my new home says he is going to run #30 felt VERTICALLY up the roof pitch (12/12). I understand that will be way faster, and probably safer. But it CAN'T be better for me. The Contractor who is framing the house is outstanding. I trust what he says as much as a family member. He says that it is fairly common to do it this way on steep roofs. Mostly to avoid walking on the rows of paper possible ripping them, or worse slipping off the roof. I am acting as general contractor on this. I feel like I should say NO to vertical felt and incur any additional costs.
Please give me some advise here. Anyone who has a metal roof please chime in. Was your underlayment done vertical? Any problems??
This is happening in less than 2 weeks time.
PS the peak of the roof is 31' above ground.

·
Super Moderator
24,290 Posts
Never heard of or seen such an install.

I come from the land of 12/12 roofs...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The contractor that will be installing the roof on my new home says he is going to run #30 felt VERTICALLY up the roof pitch (12/12). I understand that will be way faster, and probably safer. But it CAN'T be better for me. The Contractor who is framing the house is outstanding. I trust what he says as much as a family member. He says that it is fairly common to do it this way on steep roofs. Mostly to avoid walking on the rows of paper possible ripping them, or worse slipping off the roof. I am acting as general contractor on this. I feel like I should say NO to vertical felt and incur any additional costs.
Please give me some advise here. Anyone who has a metal roof please chime in. Was your underlayment done vertical? Any problems??
This is happening in less than 2 weeks time.
PS the peak of the roof is 31' above ground.
What Kind of metal roof..

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
While I am no roofer, I have worked on many steep roofs. Many metal roofs also. I have never installed felt vertically. Why are they using felt instead of synthetic? Synthetic will not rip out like felt.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue with it. If you're not comfortable with the idea, pay a little more and have him do a bigger lap on the seams.

As a note, felt is not a vapor barrier nor is it waterproof. Its ability to hold out water is temporary once it is wet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is standing seam metal.
I have no problem with #30 felt. I just want it horizontally. I have never heard of the titanium product. Does it run horizontally??

He says he has done hundreds of steep metal roofs with vertical felt. He has been in business under the same name, and out of the same shop for over 40 years. I'm sure that is why he only uses felt.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,638 Posts
Personally I don't use felt under metal anymore, nothing but synthetic . Although I would not have a problem running the felt vertically if felt in the situation it was better/ easier to do and not compromise the job. If the metal does not keep the water out you have problems anyhow that the felt is not really going to solve.

If the roof guy has been in business that long and will stand back of it , I say let him do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just did some research on the Titanium product.
Cost with no discount looks like $150 per roll. Each roll covers 10 squares. I can get a 2 square roll of good old #30 felt for $32. The cost of 10 sq of felt is $160.
AM I crazy or should this option be cheaper to install by $1 per square?
And after reading about SUPERIOR WALKABILIY, and 20 TIMES STRONGER, I would be crazy NOT to use it right???

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Have not seen felt in this part of the country that cheap in years. Think synthetic works out cheaper then felt here.
No you're right, I haven't got felt in a long time. But it was 10 bucks a sq for 30lb and 5 bucks a sq for 15lb. I pay $120ish for titanium. So it's a little bit cheaper, but I don't see why not for 2 bucks a sq

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Not sure , but one of the reason they may use felt is they staple it down where with synthetic I use roofing nails , instruction say a 3/8 head nail can be used. Save a little time with staples.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
No you're right, I haven't got felt in a long time. But it was 10 bucks a sq for 30lb and 5 bucks a sq for 15lb. I pay $120ish for titanium. So it's a little bit cheaper, but I don't see why not for 2 bucks a sq
The stuff I use from my metal supplier I just got the other day was 106 for 10. Not tianium , but I think it works just as good and don't have prloblems with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the guys I am dealing with are old school. The framer built my parents house in 1996. The roofer roofed me parents house too. They do things the way their dad's showed them. My parents have #30 felt under their Hardie lap siding with ZERO problems. So I am doing the same on my home. Just like my dad told me to.
I guess its hard to break a cycle and try new products.
They say Felt allows the house to breathe while shedding what little water it will see. They say synthetic wraps like Tyvek won't let the house breathe and trap moisture causing tons of problems. Will they say the same about Titanium 30?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts