Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remodeling a home. The home is suppose to be 40 x 60. When measuring the truss length it was discovered that the building is a little over a inch wider on one side of the building. Checked the walls and the inch is actually loss in the foundation. Any recommendations?? I plan on just keeping the front of the house even with the plates and letting that one back corner run by a bit and just bury it in the soffit. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
jaydee said:
If the walls are wider than the trusses Add a third top plate, ( use 2x4 on Inside edge) if existing wall is 2x6 ( use 2x3 on Inside edge) if existing wall is 2x4
????

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I may have interpreted wrong,
but I assume that the trusses won't fit because
the walls are too wide.

If the rafter portion is hitting the outside edge of the top plate
before the ceiling joist does.

we always used 2x6 walls, So I would use a 2x4 as a top plate and
line it up on the inside. This will allow the rafter portion to clear the outside edge of the plate, allowing the ceiling joist to hit first.

Sorry, If still confusing I'll draw it tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I didn't describe it the best. If you were looking at the top plates from a bird eye view, the right wall is right on 40'. The left wall of the structure is 39' 11". The trusses were already at the site before and we have 40' trusses. But if I put the 40' trusses on the left wall they will hang over the exterior back wall a inch. Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem in the past and how it worked out. I figured I would just run it over the inch and bury it in the soffit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Not much else you can do now, unless you want to cut tails.

It's my understanding that in some places, truss tails don't come precut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts