Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an old carrier roof-top unit. Spark ignition. System sparks, but pilot won't light up automatically. It will light up when I remove the ribbon burner to observe everything, but as soon as I reset the burners, it wont ignite.

Tried to adjust the electrode rod, but didn't want to break anything. System will fire up if I put a lighter to the pilot assembly. But, I don't think they want me hanging around on the roof for at least ten hours a day.

I could replace the ignition assembly ($115), but not so sure this is the culprit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would think if it has spark ignition than it has a flame sensor not a thermocouple ,,,,now I think some of them use the part of the pilot assembly as a flame sensor.. I would clean the ribbon burner with a compressor and try cleaning the pilot assembly carefully and make sure you grounds are nice and clean..it would be nice to have a
Model number so we could do some digging on line.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Thanks,.....:thumbsup:

Your correct........,

I was thinking some type of sensor issue......:blink:

You guys know your trade,...can you tell I don't....:laughing:...;)

Hope you figure it out flash,,,,:thumbsup:

B,

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think if it has spark ignition than it has a flame sensor not a thermocouple ,,,,now I think some of them use the part of the pilot assembly as a flame sensor.. I would clean the ribbon burner with a compressor and try cleaning the pilot assembly carefully and make sure you grounds are nice and clean..it would be nice to have a
Model number so we could do some digging on line.
I would be glad to give the model number. If you find something, major props: 585Epo42100-H It's a BDP (carrier) about 1985.

As for the ignition, the problem isn't within the flame sense. I can light the pilot, and the burners will fire up. The problem is getting the pilot to actually light. I got to the site this morning and the indoor temp was 72, so, it did fire up, but...

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does that one have a Honeywell ignition controller? Box with orange wire going to sparkler..can you hear it tick,, tick ,,tick,, trying to lite?.
Have you got pics of the unit?

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
flashheatingand said:
I would be glad to give the model number. If you find something, major props: 585Epo42100-H It's a BDP (carrier) about 1985.

As for the ignition, the problem isn't within the flame sense. I can light the pilot, and the burners will fire up. The problem is getting the pilot to actually light. I got to the site this morning and the indoor temp was 72, so, it did fire up, but...

Thanks
Could it be the sparking rods are nor gapped proper and/or it is sparking to the burner or another surface not in the flow of gas. I ask because I have seen this once before and because u say it works proper when the burner is removed and maybe that's the surface it is sparking to.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect the issue is the spark hitting the burner. The gap thing, well, I don't know why it would be out of wack. Nobody has messed with it, and the rod appeared to be "normal". I stopped by yesterday morning, and all was good. But, I suspect, as you mentioned, the spark is hitting the burner, as upon further review, I saw that happen.

I think one needs to adjust the mounting location of the pilot assembly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could it be shorting out from the ignition lead to the ribbon burner body, seen similar on older type burners where the spark jumps from the lead to some metal part before it gets to the electrode, there is usually some sort of heat proof sleeve that goes over the lead at the pilot end to prevent this from happening, could that be missing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
flashheatingand said:
Did not see any shorting on the orange lead. The spark would hit the ribbon burner, as well as the designed "landing pad". No complaints today or yesterday, but still, shaking my head.
I learned very quickly if its not broke don't fix it.

If it is safe and working fine...

Move on and fix something that's broken,,,,

·
Registered
55 Posts
flashheatingand said:
Did not see any shorting on the orange lead. The spark would hit the ribbon burner, as well as the designed "landing pad". No complaints today or yesterday, but still, shaking my head.
I learned something a long time ago..

If its not broke don't fix it..

If its safe and working fine ,,

move on and fix something that is broken..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds to me like the sparkr is bumping up against the burner and caused the problem. Did anyone over there fuss with it at all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts