Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Chevy G20 with a barn door. The slider hardware interferes with where I've traditionally mounted roof racks. There's some fakakta bracket screwed into the roof of the thing that looks like it's supposed to act as a surrogate rack holder, but half the screws have rusted out and I'm pretty sure if I put a load of lumber on there and went around a hard right curve the entire thing would rip right off the roof.

Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

·
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody with a G van with a slider has to have a roof rack, right? Why would they make these things otherwise?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You can't mount the standard clamp on ones to the gutter? I just got my e 250 with a slider and it looks like it would work just fine. The slider is a few inches under the gutter.

·
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried yet because I didn't want to go out and get one and have it not fit.

On the G van the slider track is really really tight up against the gutter. In addition to that, that is a piece of metal track of some kind installed on the roof about 5 inches north of the gutter. I was wondering if that was Chevy's solution to this or if this is something the previous owner installed that I just don't understand. The service manual doesn't say anything about it and the previous owner is deceased, so he's not going to say much either.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Actually I just looked at mine and the door goes right up to the gutter. Whoops. I was just over at hd a few minutes ago, they guy next to me had a van with the weather gaurd clamp on racks. They don't look too intrusive. They only look to be about 1/8-3/16" steel. If they do interfere just mount them forward of and to the rear of where the door is when it's closed. When opened it should stick out far enough so it's a non issue.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Did the previous owner die trying to put a rack on? Need pics to see what you're talking about but to my knowledge most racks install on the rain gutters and they don't need much clearance at the sliding door. If it's that tight I would think the door is out of alignment.

I have a Safari rack on my Ford with no issues. I would say the previous owner installed something on the roof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts