Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE forgive me, I KNOW that this has been addressed before, and will be more! To start with, I have done many roof jobs from past employment/own company/side jobs, over 30 + years, with no issue!

Today, my Project Manager where I work, ( fyi, I am classed as a "lead/carpenter tech". title with no say, just the BS involved!) came to me about a sub doing a roof for our company. Now for the question??

When doing a roof up the eaves, do you paper, then drip edge, then shingle, with the edging shingles, OR drip edge, paper, then shingle?

And as well, Do you roof apron, I/W then shingle, or I/W then roof apron, then shingle?

Not telling how I do it yet, but we have a bet at work on it! He is from the S.C. area, I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area!

Ps I do maybe the wrong thing, let me know, paper/drip/shingle and I/W roof apron/ roof cement on top of apron/ shingles. Thanks, dave

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
As far as I&W.... Manufacturer states for it to be applied BEFORE drip edge. Reason being an ice dam can be formed creeping under the drip edge, so there needs to be protection under the drip edge.

As far as felt paper.... Paper first, then drip edge (if any) along the rakes. Felt serves more as a vapor barrier than anything else. If wind driven rain were to be forced under the shingles, it could occur at the rakes so having paper overlap the drip edge could force it under the paper. With paper under the drip edge, the sheathing is still protected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is our way
Ice and water up eave at least 3' past house wall
Drip edge or gutter apron over ice and water
Felt or synthetic over ice and water and over drip
We have put ice and water both under and over the drip in bad ice damn areas

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Ice guard and felt under drip.

Ground pins go down.

Floor before base.

Cabinets before floor (sometimes).

Fiber tape on seams only with setting type compound.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
around here the I&W wraps the eave fascia 3''very rare to see an eave drip/apron..you would think there would be problems but there's not

·
Registered
13,975 Posts
Imo drips are over rated.
I would stick my ice over the drip, & my drip over the paper on rakes. That's me.

Bottom drip caps are supposed reduce overhang & cracking, as well as provide easy gutter access.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
around here the I&W wraps the eave fascia 3''very rare to see an eave drip/apron..you would think there would be problems but there's not
That's how I prefer to do it, 'wrapping the eve fascia' (its how I did my home) then the drip edge or gutter apron metal over it.

If limited money involved ( customer house ) then leave existing gutter apron and seal ice and water shield to flashing.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We have been applying I&W per code (over the drip edge) for years. We just had the worst winter in 40 years and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
1/2 sheet for the first row under the eve, then full width over the drip. Rake metal goes on top of felt/underlayment.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here in Fl we I&W the whole roof normally. So most of the time it's I&W then drip. Run a line of tar to seal the drip or peel & stick starter.

·
Registered
785 Posts
SouthonBeach said:
Here in Fl we I&W the whole roof normally. So most of the time it's I&W then drip. Run a line of tar to seal the drip or peel & stick starter.
The whole roof? Ugh I guess you're not worried about breathability of the roof decking?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The roof breathes through the ventilation. OSB or plywood decking does not breathe anyways, aside from the seams.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts