Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cabin with an old 5:12 pitch roof in Alberta, Canada. I stripped the shingles off, and laid down ice and watershield. Then I built a new roof on top of the ice and watershield because the ends of the old rafters were rotten. I screwed metal on top of this. Inside the old roof, I spray foamed above the interior ceiling, and then blew 2 ft of insulation on top. I put a vent on one end. I now have water dripping in the interior ceiling after the weather went above freezing. I think it is from condensation because there is no ice damming. To further complicate the matter I have long term tenants living in the building, and I live 3 hours aways.
What did I do wrong? How do I fix it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Window Building Snow House Wood

Cloud Sky Building Wood Window
Plant Wood Tree Composite material Symmetry
Wood Slope Composite material Building material Roof
Wood Snow Wood stain Hardwood Plant
Purple Blue Wood Rectangle Floor
Window Building Snow House Wood
Cloud Sky Building Wood Window

Wood Slope Composite material Building material Roof

Plant Wood Tree Composite material Symmetry

Wood Snow Wood stain Hardwood Plant

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reccomended to do this for two reasons:
1. So that I could have a nailer for fascia and soffit since the old rafters were completely rotted out on the ends.
2. To create an air gap instead of trying to use insulation stops in a tight attic space.

Do you have any advice for the question I asked?

· Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
9,598 Posts
“Then I built a new roof on top of the ice and watershield because the ends of the old rafters were rotten.”

I fail to see the logic …
It appears to be an attempt to build a cold roof, which is exactly what should be built in That climate.

But unless it has open ventilation top and bottom, it will not function as such.

Is the water dripping off the drywall inside?

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly does it need for ventilation at the top? Is the white vent into the attic space enough?

The water is only dripping from the ceiling, but closer to the walls. There are multiple spots dripping from around the house. I am wondering if the guy I paid to spray foam didn't do a very good job?

The leaks all look like the attached picture:

Brown Wood Wood stain Line Plank

· Registered
Remodel
52,144 Posts
The first problem is you put ice and water shield down, creating 2 vapor barriers with a large space in between.

For this to work, you have to have a continuous air and vapor barrier above your ceiling. Thus could be an issue with the foam type, foam install, detailing, .....

This includes air sealing along all the interior and exterior wall top plates.

No way to tell from here.

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first problem is you put ice and water shield down, creating 2 vapor barriers with a large space in between.

For this to work, you have to have a continuous air and vapor barrier above your ceiling. Thus could be an issue with the foam type, foam install, detailing, .....

This includes air sealing along all the interior and exterior wall top plates.

No way to tell from here.
Would it help for me to cut the ice and watershield open under the ridge cap? Is there anything I should be doing right now before the spring?

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your terminology is off a bit.

That’s not the ceiling, it appears to be the underside of the roof.

A cold roof is not vented into an attic, it’s vented top and bottom on the outside.

@hdavis nailed the problem.
No the interior ceiling is also ship lap. The water seems to be leaking through the sprayfoam and interior ceiling into the cabin. I'll attach a picture that maybe makes a little more sense.
Picture frame Property Furniture Couch Wood
Brown Wood Wood stain Line Plank
Picture frame Property Furniture Couch Wood

· Registered
1,776 Posts
wouldn't an air leak between living space and attic space create this problem . could the exposed edge of the 2x ceiling joist be enough to make a cold spot on living side .he did say he had blow in on top .
at this point could OP pull the ceiling lumber .Then attach solid sheet insulation to ceiling surface .

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boards Like What . The wood rafters look old .that old wood should be stable . The stuff nailed to the ceiling would only be cosmetic .I am not following .Appreciate the knowledge I can gain from this .
The shiplap was actually orginally nailed straight to the ceiling joists. I sanded the wall paper off of it then paid a contractor to spray foam above it so I could keep the wood look.

· Registered
Remodel
52,144 Posts
Boards Like What . The wood rafters look old .that old wood should be stable . The stuff nailed to the ceiling would only be cosmetic .I am not following .Appreciate the knowledge I can gain from this .
The boards nailed to the ceiling. Wood has an equilibrium moisture content (emc). Changing temp and relative humidity changes the wood moisture content, so the wood swells and shrinks with the seasons.

· Registered
Electrician
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok … but … he didn't say he was building a cold roof, and the way it was worded it sounded like he built a new roof rather than repairing the existing one.
I did build a cold roof (but its only vented at the bottoms). The water is leaking through the interior ceiling (sprayfoam on top of ship lap boards) meaning there is somehow water in the attic space (which is also vented). Are my photos being attached properly? Because I feel like they explain exactly what I'm talking about.
Snow Material property Composite material Freezing Wood

· Registered
Construction/builder
5 Posts
I am thinking that your problem is the steel is condensing and then leaking through you ice and water shield and coming through your ceiling. Next time it warms up like that you need to get up in the attic and see if the water is coming through up there somewhere. I’d say you need air flow between the old roof and the new framing or just fix the leaks in your ice and water shield. But maybe I’m wrong just a guess

1 - 20 of 50 Posts