Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of my roof jack I am installing on a box containing a bathroom fan. This house has an almost flat foam roof with no attic, so everything sits on top of the roof. Sikaflex 1a is the black material used to fill the gap between the roof and the wooden box around the bathroom fan. there is a skylight next to the roof jack with about a 1/4" gap between the skylight box and the bathroom fan box (see photos attached).

I'm planning on using the Sikaflex to secure the sheetmetal roof jack to the fan box, and also to fill in the gap between the skylight box and fan box. Then I will paint the box with an acrylic white elastomeric roof coating.

The duct is 6" diameter coming horizontally out of a Panasonic fan. It then makes a 90 degree turn up, and connects to the 6" duct you see in the picture.

Do you think this design will work? Is there a better approach that will maintain the integrity of the roof and allow the fan to vent?

Location is San Francisco Bay Area, mild temperatures, heavy rains in winter with winds.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
here are some photos of my roof jack i am installing on a box containing a bathroom fan. This house has an almost flat foam roof with no attic, so everything sits on top of the roof. Sikaflex 1a is the black material used to fill the gap between the roof and the wooden box around the bathroom fan. There is a skylight next to the roof jack with about a 1/4" gap between the skylight box and the bathroom fan box (see photos attached).

I'm planning on using the sikaflex to secure the sheetmetal roof jack to the fan box, and also to fill in the gap between the skylight box and fan box. Then i will paint the box with an acrylic white elastomeric roof coating.

The duct is 6" diameter coming horizontally out of a panasonic fan. It then makes a 90 degree turn up, and connects to the 6" duct you see in the picture.

Do you think this design will work? Is there a better approach that will maintain the integrity of the roof and allow the fan to vent?

Location is san francisco bay area, mild temperatures, heavy rains in winter with winds.

Dan
wtf?

Why not a through the wall fan?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Here are some photos of my roof jack I am installing on a box containing a bathroom fan. This house has an almost flat foam roof with no attic, so everything sits on top of the roof. Sikaflex 1a is the black material used to fill the gap between the roof and the wooden box around the bathroom fan. there is a skylight next to the roof jack with about a 1/4" gap between the skylight box and the bathroom fan box (see photos attached).

I'm planning on using the Sikaflex to secure the sheetmetal roof jack to the fan box, and also to fill in the gap between the skylight box and fan box. Then I will paint the box with an acrylic white elastomeric roof coating.

The duct is 6" diameter coming horizontally out of a Panasonic fan. It then makes a 90 degree turn up, and connects to the 6" duct you see in the picture.

Location is San Francisco Bay Area, mild temperatures, heavy rains in winter with winds.

Dan
TP?

Someone taking a dump up on the roof? :blink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts