Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in cold/snow winter areas install heat tapes on roofs and does it do the job or does the ice back up behind them?? Self-regulating commercial tape or residential ? Do the clips hold up well on Shingles? How far up the roof should it be run?
What is everyone input on the advantage vs disadvantages for installing it?? Winter:w00t: is almost upon us !! Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
???????????????? No Replies here ????????????? None of you Electricians Install Heat tapes on roofs especially in the northern zones??? I'm Bewildered ! I have & was looking for more input on it, with Opinions on it, thus the questions. Nothing to haggle with here I guess !!!!!!!!!!

·
ampman
783 Posts
???????????????? No Replies here ????????????? None of you Electricians Install Heat tapes on roofs especially in the northern zones??? I'm Bewildered ! I have & was looking for more input on it, with Opinions on it, thus the questions. Nothing to haggle with here I guess !!!!!!!!!!
not much need for it here i've only seen snow twice and it was not that much

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Dont even bother trying to put it on a slate roof, shingles i run it up to 3'-4' from the eave and with metal i use the roofing screws to hold the clips in place. The one thing i have been looking for is a controller that works by temperature and can be plugged in to a 20amp GFI, the heat tape would then be plugged in to the controller. These heat tapes are for a small roof about 5' wide and the tail of it lays in the rain gutter to keep that thawed too. Anyone seen anything like this, my local supply store found some but they are like $800. Too much money!!!

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
not much need for it here i've only seen snow twice and it was not that much
A little "stupid" info for yah, did you know that snow making was first realized in Florida? Farmers found going out into the fields to spray water mist on the fruit tree's to wash off the frost was making it snow.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Dont even bother trying to put it on a slate roof, shingles i run it up to 3'-4' from the eave and with metal i use the roofing screws to hold the clips in place. The one thing i have been looking for is a controller that works by temperature and can be plugged in to a 20amp GFI, the heat tape would then be plugged in to the controller. These heat tapes are for a small roof about 5' wide and the tail of it lays in the rain gutter to keep that thawed too. Anyone seen anything like this, my local supply store found some but they are like $800. Too much money!!!
Try ABC Supply, they have something. It's not cheap though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts