Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any recent experience with the code requirements for roof hatches?

The CBC states that if you have a stairwell that goes as high as the roof but does not have a door that leads out onto the roof, then you must install a Roof Hatch.

The exceptions are - 1. the door that leads onto the roof or, 2. if the stairwell is pressurized.

3 of our stairwells meet neither exception.

Our esteemed architect says put the hatches in but that we don't need a ladder up to the hatch.

The code used to be that the hatch is an escape point and you always needed a ladder to them.

She says "No ladder. The hatch is just so the Fire Dept. can open it from the top side and relieve smoke. HUH???

I just picture a guy in the stairwell someday with the fire below him, getting burned up, and in court later someone saying "He would have gotten out the roof hatch had there just been a ladder to it."

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
No I don't have experience with the code on that. But I don't see why not put a ladder on there, it shouldn't cost very much and will be useful for getting on the roof doing maintenance. If I was the owner I would be kind of irritated if there was a roof hatch but no ladder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I dig all the obvious and logical reasons why you SHOULD put in the ladder.

But this is So. Cal. and a design build job.

What I mean by that is the only 2 things to take into consideration here are - Liability & Cost

1 - 3 of 3 Posts