Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of discussion topics. At what pitch do you feel you need 2x4 cleats nailed down when decking? Or do you have any alternatives you like?

Personally anything above a 7/12 and Im cleating as I deck.

Next question sneakers on the roof or boots always no matter what? I love sneakers on the roof for grip and agility.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
When I was framing the practice was anything over 5/12 got cleats. At the time we had to put a 2x6 against the bottom row of 2x4 cleats. That was acceptable to OSHA.
Today is a different story. You had best be tied off before you drop one sheet.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
I am good up to a 7 without toeboards...maybe an 8 in the summer. Definitely grippy work shoes but not boots on a roof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple of discussion topics. At what pitch do you feel you need 2x4 cleats nailed down when decking? Or do you have any alternatives you like?

Next question sneakers on the roof or boots always no matter what? I love sneakers on the roof for grip and agility.

What do y'all think?
This shoe has the most grip I have ever had---
https://www.backcountry.com/la-spor...TaG9lczoxOjM6YmMtbWVucy1hcHByb2FjaC1zaG9lcw==

·
Registered
11,192 Posts

What do y'all think?
Your doing what I would do. I always preferred sneakers on a roof. I felt Boots are better on paper but the scuff the finish roof and slide on plywood.

Always like the framers leaving those cleats for us on a 7 or above. Could work on a 7 and paper 8's without cleats but even on a 7 upside down starting first rows until you get turned around you either tack a 10d to hold the bundles or raise a cleat.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
I like cleats to hold crap, so even a 4 might get it, just to make life easy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was on a 9 yesterday and didn't feel the need for cleats. I find it depends on the work shoes I have.
In my boots I start slipping on a 6.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I was framing the practice was anything over 5/12 got cleats. At the time we had to put a 2x6 against the bottom row of 2x4 cleats. That was acceptable to OSHA.
Today is a different story. You had best be tied off before you drop one sheet.
they seriously make you wear a harness now to do sheeting?

·
Registered
902 Posts
they seriously make you wear a harness now to do sheeting?
Yes. And when you're setting trusses/rafters...and anything you do on the second floor...and when you get out of your truck...and when you're at home...well...the last 2 aren't quite there yet, you need harnessed into your truck, not after it's in park with the keys out. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ll sheet an 8 without toe boards. Anything over that and I put one on the very bottom for hauling sheets up. And then over a 10 they get them every couple of feet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts