Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I had a customer email me regarding a roof on his rental property. He asked if I could inspect a porch roof and provide him with a 'roof certification' for the township.

Can anyone explain to me what in particular a roof certification might be? Is this just a letter from me stating the roofing material is in good shape, ok shape but may need replacement in the next few years or what? I'm licensed and insured so my assumption would be that the township just wasn't something from a licensed contractor to say it's ok as opposed to the property owner saying it's fine.

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes basicly it's you signing off on the roof saying it is good shape for so long etc.
excellent. I did google the answer before posting this question by the way...I just was still left in a slight confusion! ha-ha

thanks

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,002 Posts
In signing off on the roof I would put in the report just what you found and why you think it will only last x amount of time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did a few of these a couple years back until one came back to bite me in the a**.

HO stated she had no leaks, roof looked ok but it wasnt. New owner threatens suit after interior damage. I am not giving any warranty on roofs i didnt install. I decline them now.

She calls about a leak, knows we didnt install it. Asked for an estimate to fix it (pull up a few valleys and relay it all) then we get a letter from her lawyer telling us to do the work or else.

Cheaper to fix it than go to court:sad:

·
Registered
785 Posts
It would be incredibly hard for me to work for someone like that. I agree that it's much cheaper to fix the problem but it doesn't mean I would be very happy about it.

I have often wondered about liability in these situations. I wonder if any sort of disclaimer would fix the problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts