Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry about the controversial Tamko thread, but I have another question...

I'm working on the same roof for my folks....I have to add that we did the "tamko" style with very little waste and so far I'm sold.

I'm also doing fully vented vinyl soffits, adding baffles, and sealing any gable vents.

As a standard for my company we use Cobra rigid vents platic style (so I've never put much thought into it)....well a couple years back I installed Cobra rolled ridgevent on 1/3 of my folks roof....without thinking when I ordered materials I asked for the rigid vent @ 150'. After tear off It came back to me that we have 60' of re-usable rolled vent.

I'm thinking of returning the "rigid" and going with the rolled to save some $$, Before I do, I would like to know if there is a significant difference between the two.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
The rigid has baffles that increase and improve the airflow, I use rigid on all my jobs and jobs I do for the other few contractors I do roofs for with the exception of one who won't budge mainly because he is a little on the cheap side.

·
Roofer
681 Posts

I thought it was a good thread.
Once a person gets to the point where they believe they have everything figured out, know all they need to know, they need to stop and go back to GO 'with out collecting $200.00' and start all over.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

I thought it was a good thread.
Once a person gets to the point where they believe they have everything figured out, know all they need to know, they need to stop and go back to GO 'with out collecting $200.00' and start all over.

Exception to the rule

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I want that for my avatar......... :)

The hard vents do vent better, just because they don't plug with dirt. Have used almost every brand and only had a few problems. Most problems I have seen, is with the 4 ft. pieces. We use Omniroll most of the time.

If you wanna save a few bucks....I really don't see a problem with reusing it, but I guess I still need to learn from the roofing gods that be....... ;)

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info fellas...I went with the rolled.

One benefit I found....I was able to blast it down with the nailer. I have 150' to do so that helped. I'm using 3 tab for the caps, and I wanted so badly to do the same, but I stuck with hand nailing with 2" roofers. Any thoughts about that method? Again, 3 tabs are cheaper than the arch. caps.

I took the summer off to do my folks' roof and so far I've had 2 guys help me for three days. I care about quality, but I want to get done! If I can save myself some time and my parents some$ without sacraficing the roof's function, I'm all for it:clap:

Scope of work: full tear off 55 sq, 12 sheets plywood replaced, 100' of sub-facia replaced, shingled, tuck pointed, flash and counter-flash 2 large chimneys, 11 sq. vinyl soffit, 360' aluminum facia, replaced 1- 5" gas heater pipe and vent, and one 10" range hood pipe and vent....we're gonna come in around 23$K including the deal I made with them.

For argument's sake when I chat with my folks, what's the ballpark figure you guys might charge. I talked with my boss before I started and without batting an eye he said 40K$ for tear off and shingle. I really wish they would have gotten bids so they could better appreciate what I've been doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts