Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Carpenter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a porch roof with a 3 pitch and torch down roll roofing on it. I need to replace one sheet of plywood can I use use glue down roll roofing to go over the roof after I replace the plywood? The old roofing is down good the skylight leaked. The roof is about 6 Sq.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a roll of torch down and you can torch over the repaired area and tie onto the old material. As long as you get a good bleed out and no voids on your lap you can buck water where it ties in above the area too. Make sure to base your plywood in first or you'll have a fire.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ugh I would just use self adhered modified roofing. Both the base sheet and the cap are self adhered. If you have never installed self adhered, GAF has so pretty good videos on YouTube. We stopped using torch on residential applications because of the risk and having to deal with the tools. Self Adhered is more expensive to buy, but a much better option for small projects.

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
I could be mistaken but the safest way would be to mechanically attach a new base prior to top coating. Never know with surface bonding.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Tom M said:
I could be mistaken but the safest way would be to mechanically attach a new base prior to top coating. Never know with surface bonding.
I don't think he is talking about top coat, but now that I re-read his question I think mechanically attaching a base sheet would be better than a self adhered base then, but still go with the self adhered cap sheet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Torchdown is a much better product than the lick em and stick em garbage. I've been roofing for almost 30 yrs and have put down literally thousands of rolls of torchdown. When done right its one of the best roofs out there

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
aamerasian67 said:
Torchdown is a much better product than the lick em and stick em garbage. I've been roofing for almost 30 yrs and have put down literally thousands of rolls of torchdown. When done right its one of the best roofs out there
You're the first roofer I've heard say that. All the roofers I talk to now are advocating PVC for flat or low pitched roofs. Insurance companies like it better as well. Are you sure you're not just anal and stuck in your old ways?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I dont think theres been a holmes on holmes episode where they haven't torched down at least a roll

·
Eater of sins.
4,525 Posts
You're the first roofer I've heard say that. All the roofers I talk to now are advocating PVC for flat or low pitched roofs. Insurance companies like it better as well. Are you sure you're not just anal and stuck in your old ways?

It seems to me that the terms "anal" and "stuck in your" should not be in the same sentence.

Oh look there, I just did it too.

Andy.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,940 Posts
we've used TPO with great success. The new generation TPO is pretty good chit.

·
Registered
785 Posts
While TPO and PVC are great, they aren't practical in this situation. The guy is working on a porch. Just buy a few rolls of liberty and you're set. The torch down has worked a long time, but it's okay to welcome new technologies.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
LeeFowler said:
While TPO and PVC are great, they aren't practical in this situation. The guy is working on a porch. Just buy a few rolls of liberty and you're set. The torch down has worked a long time, but it's okay to welcome new technologies.
We understand, I brought up PVC because he was talking about torch downs, went off topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts