Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the site--thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Couple questions with regard to social media and advertising:

1. Has anyone tried targeted advertising on Facebook? I know it's incredibly cheap for huge exposure (especially for local biz), but have any of you had any success with it? What seemed to work? What didn't?

2. I found that, because projects take time, and social media is a hungry beast, blogging is a great alternative. Problem is, I have no idea what to talk about for a blog. Other than just googling something, what are some great resources for learning about construction, or picking up some unique DIY tips & Tricks, or home improvement in general, etc...?

That's all my questions for now. thanks again!

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Matt is the resident Facebook advertiser I think, he swears by it :)

Anyways, stuff to blog about, yeah its tough. There is a way to set up your analytics to see questions people use to find your site. how to, who is, what kind ect. I made a post about it several months ago.

Although now G has hidden all search results from their search so forget what I just said.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
ohiohomedoctor said:
Fb ads work, period. I have been able to engage a large local populous of previously un tapped potential clients.. Not to mention the 2100 likes...
So you get cold calls from your adds . Out 5 would say 2 are jobs of profit . Meaning remodeling jobs not one day projects .

·
User
176 Posts
Newbie to the site--thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Couple questions with regard to social media and advertising:

1. Has anyone tried targeted advertising on Facebook? I know it's incredibly cheap for huge exposure (especially for local biz), but have any of you had any success with it? What seemed to work? What didn't?
I'm in the middle of testing it now for several contractors. Will let you (the forum/site) know after I have a case study.

2. I found that, because projects take time, and social media is a hungry beast, blogging is a great alternative. Problem is, I have no idea what to talk about for a blog. Other than just googling something, what are some great resources for learning about construction, or picking up some unique DIY tips & Tricks, or home improvement in general, etc...?
Blogging is an essential component of any decent search engine optimization campaign, so no arguments there. Want more business, blog your ass off! Can't write, don't want to write, not sure what to write, hire a professional copywriter and/or content-centric SEO company that has specific experience with contractors (your industry).

If you really want to know if social media works, TEST it! Get the right tracking tools on your website, set up a campaign, and measure your results. The most successful companies I know often have a binder 5" thick with all the tests they've run over the years.

Money on advertising and marketing is not wasted if:

A) you get business and/OR
B) you learn from it

My $.02.

Ben

·
Infinity Builders
4 Posts
I would like to hear more about this aswell....

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
ProSweep said:
I would be careful with investing too heavily into Facebook, considering the long term prospects. Facebook is going to be removing more and more of the organic presence that businesses have and push them toward paid advertising. http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2317757/Facebook-Admits-Expect-Organic-Reach-for-Pages-to-Continue-Declining#! - if you want to learn more.

I assume this will be the goal of any social media site. It does seem that a +1 is probably worth more than a like but much harder to get as well.

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
I assume this will be the goal of any social media site. It does seem that a +1 is probably worth more than a like but much harder to get as well.
Personally, I think Google is going to strong arm the + crowd. It's only natural that Google would engage in some nepotism. This is going to end up being a tricky balance - people LOVE Facebook, and are loath to leave it for a variety of reasons. I'm a social media nut, and even I am not engaged with +.

So if businesses are being cut out of that social media organic pie...how do we get people on other platforms, and using them?

I am really curious to see where things will be in the next five years.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
A plus 1 does things better and differently then a like does. A like is more or less useless, possibly an indicator of engagement and it has a time decay on it. A plus one is not useless in the same way, it is actually very powerful, yet it also has a time decay, but its bonus will linger especially in local search where competition is low.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ugh. As I have yet to merge my google+ local and google places page I don't know which direction to go. I have a hidden address and still don't know exactly what google wants me to do with all these pages.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
If it were me I would contact Darren and have him run your social media for 6 months and see how it goes. If he does for contractor sites half as well as he does for his own sites you will be loving it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
JBM said:
If it were me I would contact Darren and have him run your social media for 6 months and see how it goes. If he does for contractor sites half as well as he does for his own sites you will be loving it.
With that I wholly agree. Not to mention his plans don't seem that bad. If anything he might get them going in the right direction.

·
www.magicpoolservices.com
831 Posts
Social is where people are having conversations with other people.
Engagement drives advocacy which leads to sales.

Your company's lack of Social Media could actually be a dealbreaker costing you sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts