Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an old tool company that used to make good stuff. Has anyone had experience with the new Rockwell stuff? I was surprised how pricey some of the stuff at Lowes was. Considering I thought it was a cheapo brand these days.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have not purchased any rockwell stuff myself, but have seen them around and debated giving them a try in the future. However, I have noticed that the rotary hammer drill they have at lowes, its the same that canadian tire has. 50 dollar price difference, but quality I'm thinking can either be good or just plain out bad.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a corded and a cordless Sonicrafter oscillating tool. They both work pretty good, but I've never used any other brand to compare them. I also have a teeny tiny cordless SDS gun that I use for tapcons only. It's a really great tool for that purpose but it's got no ass at all for anything else. Their batteries carry a lifetime warranty, so that's nice. It's definitely all a step below true pro quality, but it's not terrible. I got all that stuff from their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/rockwelltools/ They have some fantastic sales sometimes and I paid less than half of Lowes price.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think it is a cheapo brand, menards sells it around here. I have their multitool though, works as well as any other I guess.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The Rockwell you see in stores today is not the same Rockwell that you are thinking of. The old Rockwell made industrial and woodworking machinery. I know one division was bought by Delta.

The current Rockwell bought or licensed the name. It really has nothing to do with the Rockwell of yore.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have a couple of the oscillators and use them quite a bit, especially on dry rot repairs. Work really good. Don't by the "shop" one though. We killed one of those in less than a year. My original is still going strong after 3 or so years. Seem to be pretty heavy duty. Of course the only other one I used was a Dremel brand and it was garbage. I didn't feel like spending the $300+ for the Fein at the time. The Rockwells are less than $150 here.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to recall the drill/impact driver being kind of pricey. It made me think the brand was better then I thought.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Just bought a Rockwell 2.5 amp oscillator yesterday for $99 The 3.0 amp X2 was $150

Could not see the extra 50 bucks for .5 amp Was I wrong?

I ended up not using it yet. And looks like it will only take U shaped blade only. Not sure if that is a con or not. But did like the adjustable/variable speed.

I've been using the 12v lith ion for a couple yrs Very handy and works great but have been wanting a corded one for a while.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you want a cheap ocsillator, just buy the Harbor Freight unit. As of late I buy stuff there when I know I'm going to trash it, yet at the end of the job the tool is still working, and continues to work now.

From the HFT list:

1). 7" Angle Grinder, $38 bucks with coupon. Ground an entire foundation with a cup wheel with lots of water spray. Still going, use it with diamond wheels and grinding wheels all the time.

2). 1/2 Heavy Duty Drill. Mixed countless batches of mortar and mud. Covered with colored concrete and still going. $40

3). Ocsillator, $19 cut a load of pockets in very tight places in a crawl space. Still going.

Ryobi

4" Grinder that was like $30 and its been abused constantly. Still working. I have cut metal, brick, concrete, mortal, etc. It fell of the roof when I was working on my chimney.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
If you want a cheap ocsillator, just buy the Harbor Freight unit. As of late I buy stuff there when I know I'm going to trash it, yet at the end of the job the tool is still working, and continues to work now.
Thanks tccoggs

I borrowed my buddy's HF one the other day. I was finesse cutting trim up against glass window. I do a lot of this type work.

It was sorta like hanging on to a bucking bronco. But a great tool for the money.

I played with a Dremel on display yesterday and it ran extremely smooth compared to the HF

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks tccoggs

I borrowed my buddy's HF one the other day. I was finesse cutting trim up against glass window. I do a lot of this type work.

It was sorta like hanging on to a bucking bronco. But a great tool for the money.

I played with a Dremel on display yesterday and it ran extremely smooth compared to the HF
I have the bosch for fine work, but the HFT comes out to chop. I might even use it as a hammer from time to time. The variable speed one is a bit easier to control.

I also have the Ridgid JobMax head, and its pretty nice as well. I like the right angle drill and imapct heads for that tool. Its sort of the macgruber tool.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the rockwell 12v sds. I'm pretty happy with it. 40 $ from sears . I have the 12v sonacrafter to 20 $ new off ebay for the bare tool. Havent used it yet. All there tools are being clearance out at sear dirt cheap. The biggest problem I have with them is they discharge a decent amount over night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts