Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried both that can weigh in on the pros & cons of each, such as vibration, heat, blade life, etc.

Thanks in advance,
-Duck042

·
Mickey
105 Posts
Haven't tried the rockwell so maybe this won't help you. I bought the Fmm250Q multimaster a while back and can't believe how I ever got along without it. It is a very well made tool and the quick change lever for changing blades works really well. Blades are expensive, so far I've only used off brand blades and they seem to be OK. Haven't had it long enough to really tell if they are as good as the Fein ones though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like Mickey, I have the Multimaster and don't know how I did without it. When you are on a job and you say to yourself "How am I going to do that?" the Multimaster is the tool. My main use has been in installing a base cabinet in the middle of a baseboard run. Instead of removing maybe 12' of baseboard I can easily cut out the section for the cabinet.

Mickey, where do you get your off brand blades?

Rocky

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have not used the rockwell but have heard it works about as good and the best of the clones.
It’s a better buy, and I myself would try it if I ever need to replace my Fein.
Everything about the Fein is great, but I feel they really take advantage with the blade prices.

By the way, if you ever need to cut something that you know will ruin a blade, then just use a cheap $5.99 harbor freight blade.
It will still work on my newer Fein with the star pattern blades. It does not fit in the star pattern but clamps tight against it with the tool less blade change.
Only done this a couple of times but it has worked.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have the MM 250Q. I think its safe to say that with any of these blades as soon as you hit a nail the blade is toast. It does very poorly cutting steel nails. A bit better cutting soft metals. Forget about cutting bolts. I was a little disappointed too. Not like a Sawzall.

At $15 - $25 a blade I've stayed away from cutting nails / bolts. If I do, I plan to add $40 - $50 or so even on to a small job which is a lot compared to what I usually add for shop supplies / disposables ??

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
If you get an older Multimaster without the star on the blade holder, you can buy a little adapter from Fein to add the star to the tool. It makes a big difference as the blades won't vibrate loose which was an issue on the original MMs.

I just welded the adapter to my MM so it will never get lost.

But, stupid me didn't register it 90º to the tool body, so every time I put on a blade, it's like 10º off kilter. :)

·
Mickey
105 Posts
All the blades that I have are from Imperial Blades. They seem to be a decent blade and they are about half price of Fein.

·
Pro
636 Posts
Rockwell Owner Here

I wanted the MM but wasn't sure enough about how frequently I would use it so I bought the Rockwell instead. I figured a bill was easier to have sitting on the shelf un used than four. I am VERY satisfied with the tool. I have never used a MM so can't really give them both a fair shake on which is better but there is only two things I don't like about the Rockwell, but they are minor. The blade change isn't tool free like the MM and is somewhat aggrivating but no worse than a allen head screw on the sawzall. The other thing is there is about 10 feet of cord on it with enough room in the case for 5 feet. Somewhat a pain to put it back up, but again tolerable. I wouldn't pay the difference to have these two things changed. As far as the blades go, I buy mine from Amazon. Cheapest price with fast free shipping. Liked the tool so well and was tired of having to loan it out to my dad, I bought him one for christmas.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a MM and love it.. Ive used the dremel version and they suck compared to the Fein

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a magazine that reviewed 5 of them (Home Workshop, Canadian).
Here was what the 3 editors thought:
Fein:Best overall for power, quality, and versatility. And Expensive. Great tool free design.

Rockwell: Most power, lack of variable speed, heavier, may have some tool slippage due to tool attachment system.

Dremel: Most comfortable, light, good tool attachment.

King: Very affordable, no variable speed, lower quality.

Bosch: Cordless very convenient, good tool holding system, good in all areas,lightweight, and very quiet.

Seemed they liked the fein cuz its the best, bosch because it was very good and convenient, and the dremel as the a great value on a budget.

·
Pro
636 Posts

Rockwell: Most power, lack of variable speed, heavier, may have some tool slippage due to tool attachment system.
I had some problems early on with the blades coming loose on mine, but after checking it out, I wasn't tightening the cap screw on the blade enough. I gave it an extra grunt when I put it on and haven't had a problem since.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I had some problems early on with the blades coming loose on mine, but after checking it out, I wasn't tightening the cap screw on the blade enough. I gave it an extra grunt when I put it on and haven't had a problem since.
Likewise.
I'm happy with the Rockwell
for the bucks.
I do see it as very important
to keep the recess on the arbor screw
cleaned out well.
If the allen wrench doesn't seat
it would be easy to round it out.....

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
Fein:Best overall for power, quality, and versatility. And Expensive. Great tool free design.

Dremel: Most comfortable, light, good tool attachment.

King: Very affordable, no variable speed, lower quality.

Bosch: Cordless very convenient, good tool holding system, good in all areas,lightweight, and very quiet.

Seemed they liked the fein cuz its the best, bosch because it was very good and convenient, and the dremel as the a great value on a budget.

Used the heck out of the harbor freight and the dremmel versions this week. Set the dremmel on high and never changed the speed. For the $29 i paid for the HF one i got my money's worth. I always thought all these tools were a scam, but they actually worked, go figure.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the fein multimaster, bought it with the gray metal case a few years back. Really like it:thumbsup: it cost me about $450-$500 if I remember correctly. Last year I bought a chicago tool from harbour frieght. Cost $ 39.00 the blades about $5 each, the complete tool cost less than the blades for my MM. We are doing alot of windows this last year and we use the HF one for alot of our work. If one of the guys drop a $ 40 tool from a ladder it is forgivable. I prefer the length of cord on the MM. If you are not sure go for the HF it will get you through most jobs. I can use the MM for more kinds of work. For cutting the glazing from windows or removing the caulk from brick, I even use it to cut off shims. Cheap or expensive if you remodel you need one of these tools:thumbup:. Good luck!

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I use the Dremel...it gets HOT when you run it for a long period of time, but I use it for small things like cutting molding that is already mounted, under cutting jambs, cutting outlets in cherry paneling, I also use it to finish plunge cuts in flooring made with my circ saw.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts