Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to dig a couple trenches in my yard to relocate some downspouts and I had to do some septic tank maintenance. Now I'm wondering about options for fixing the yard. I have the two trench paths, the area above the septic tank and excavator tracks to fix.

I'm thinking about renting a rock hound to smooth everything back out. Would that be my best option? There is still grass in the non trench areas so, if I mow everything short, can I run that all down with the rock hound or does that just foul everything up with the machine?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like using an attachent called a rotodairon, some brands call it a soil conditioner. buries the rocks and leaves a real nice seed bed. it will till up the grass thats growing but it comes back fast in the loose soil. Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll ask about those other pieces of equipment. I know I can get a rock hound from the local rental place but I'm unsure of the other things, first of heard of them. If the rock hound is all I can get, will it till up the existing grass alright? I have an area about 70'x50' I'd like to do.

·
operator
394 Posts
Rockhounds aren't meant to use on grass. Use a Harley rake if there's a lot of sod then rockhound. If you use the rockhound on grass and if there's bigger rocks, you stand a good chance of breaking the teeth or snapping a chain. Another option is use an eliminator before rockhounding. It'll break up everything making it much easier on the rockhound. Just make sure you font get the rippers too deep otherwise you'll be fixing your pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.